F
Posted By
Feral
Oct 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’ve installed the demo version of Photoshop CS2, but it wont let me create or import any images that use greater than 16-bits!! The "32-bit" option is ghosted out.

This means I can’t open most files, be they 24-bit jpgs or whatever, as a message pops up saying it has trouble decompressing the file. 24-bit bitmaps etc. fail to load, too.

Please help!

I have 2GHz 533MHz PentiumM, 2 x 512mb DDR2 Ram, 256mb nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics, running at a native widescreen LCD resolution of 1440×900 @ 32-bit, using Windows XP Home.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

X
xbytor
Oct 24, 2005
wrote:
Hi, I’ve installed the demo version of Photoshop CS2, but it wont let me create or import any images that use greater than 16-bits!! The "32-bit" option is ghosted out.

16 bit in this context means 16-bits per colour, not 16 bits total.
This means I can’t open most files, be they 24-bit jpgs or whatever, as a message pops up saying it has trouble decompressing the file. 24-bit bitmaps etc. fail to load, too.

24 bits is three 8 bit channels, so you should be fine.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 25, 2005
The 32 bit (per channel) option is for HDR images created from multiple images at different exposures, for very wide dynamic range. You can’t create a 32 bit image in PS other than via the HDR creation process. No JPEG will be more than 8 bits/channel.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections