MR
Posted By
Mark_Rathwell
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Tonight, I seem to have wrecked Photoshop Elements 2.

I got sent a PSD file via my Mac OS X Mail program (Mail 1.3.2). I saved the file to a desktop folder. For some reason, the Mac OS X (Panther) Preview Program was set to open the file by default. Because I wanted to open the file in Photoshop Elements, I right clicked on the icon, selected OPEN WITH and chose Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements 2 started launching and then I got this message:

"The application "Photoshop Elements" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "%<application><application><MathLib><>""

I thought: "Hmm … that’s strange!"

I tried launching Photoshop Elements on its own to open the file from within the app. Same message.

Then I tried deleting the PLIST file for Photoshop Elements from my preferences folder and launching Photoshop Elements. Same message.

I tried rebooting and launching. Same message.

Using the OPEN WITH command, I was able to get the PSD file to open up in Corel PHOTO-PAINT 11 as well as PAINTER 8. No problems with either.

But getting the PSD to open in Photoshop Elements? Youch – I can’t even get it to launch.

Any suggestions?

Mark

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 20, 2004
Mark,

First let me assure you I am not familiar with Macs, but in Windoze I would be thinking that you had recently deleted some program which deleted some shared files, or you installed something which overwrote the version of a file which PSE needs. Have you done any installs/uninstalls recently?
MR
Mark_Rathwell
Jan 20, 2004
Actually – I haven’t done any installs or uninstalls recently. I also tried repairing my permissions and it didn’t make a difference. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop Elements 2.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 20, 2004
Mark, did you repair permissions before and after installing PE? I would run fsck, for sure, in your situation. Hopefully things will be fine now, but shared library errors are often a first sign of larger directory problems.

I hope you don’t have disk doctor or systemworks installed on your computer. If you do, it would be a very good idea to trash it immediately. It wrecks more computers in X than anything else does.

If you get the error again, run disk repair from your X install cd. If that doesn’t do it, you probably ought to invest in a copy of disk warrior, which is often able to fix damage when nothing else can.
MR
Mark_Rathwell
Jan 20, 2004
Hi there,

I did repair the permissions and it didn’t make a difference. I uninstalled then reinstalled PE2 but didn’t run the permissions after the fact.

I don’t have Disk Doctor or System Works but will try to avoid it now. 😉

Thanks for the tip of using the install CD.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 20, 2004
Mark,
Did you try deleting prefs?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections