C
Posted By
cydonia
Aug 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I did a search here and haven’t found anything, this is really bugging me. How do I get inch marks in photoshop type layers instead of quotation marks? In Quark it’s control+”, but that doesn’t work in Photoshop.

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve deleted inch marks, rasterized type and drawn little square boxes where the inch marks should be, that can’t be good.

any help is appreciated!
thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jonf
Aug 18, 2004
Under preferences/general, turn off Smart Quotes
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 18, 2004
I absolutely detest Smart Quotes and turn them off in every application that I possess.
R
Ram
Aug 18, 2004
Not only are they indeed detestable, but Smart Quotes are anything but smart. The feature should be called Automatic Anglo-Saxon Quotes Even Where You Don’t Want ’em.

Smart would be if the feature could differentiate among “Anglo-Saxon quotes”, «Spanish or French quotes», »German quotes 1«, „German quotes 2“, true inch marks, typewriter quotes, etc.

I agree with Ann; always turn those suckers off.
C
cydonia
Aug 18, 2004
Duh, I missed the general preferences part. Thanks!

It peeves me when quote marks are used in a layout when you’re talking about feet and inches. And Vice Versa. Makes the layout look unprofessional IMO.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 19, 2004
Remember though, smart or curled quotes and apostrophes are the typographically correct quotation marks for, well, quotes and apostrophes. Use prime marks or typewriter (straight) quotes for feet and inches. Straight quotes in print for quoted text is just wrong, as is curled quotes for feet and inches.

Next: when a store advertises: "Special .99¢", do you hand the clerk a penny and tell him or her to keep the change?

Neil
Aug 19, 2004
No, Neil, but I do have a strong desire to change the express check-out signs so that they read "10 Items or Fewer"
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 24, 2004
<lol>

Neil
G
Gener
Aug 24, 2004
Did you know that August 22nd was National Punctuation Day?

<http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com>

🙂

Gener
B
Buko
Aug 24, 2004
damn I missed it
B
Buko
Aug 24, 2004
again

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections