JW
Posted By
Julian_Welek
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My tool bar has started behaving strangely today – any single click that takes place on a button brings up the hidden tools for that option – as though I’ve held the button down or used the right mouse button.

I did buy a new mouse the other week, but it’s only just started today. I’m using it with USB Overdrive. Illustrator behaves perfectly though, as do other apps, so I feel it’s a PS problem.

Any ideas?…it’s driving me nuts!! 🙁

Using CS versions of all on a G5/2.0DP, 1.5GB RAM.

Cheers

Jules.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 23, 2004
"My tool bar has started behaving strangely today"

When Photoshop suddenly starts acting weird, it’s usually a good idea to trash preferences. Might not solve the problem, but there’s a good chance it will.

Aside from that, recheck your mouse settings.
JW
Julian_Welek
Aug 24, 2004
Okay, trashed the prefs, no joy. Switched off the mouse drivers, still no difference. Swapped my mouse back to the default one button job. Nope. Still no improvement.

Can anyone offer anything else here? This is REALLY bugging me…. :/

TIA,

JUles.
B
Buko
Aug 24, 2004
You might try restarting your computer

logging out may accomplish the same thing.
B
Buko
Aug 24, 2004
did you shut down photoshop before you trashed your prefs??
JW
Julian_Welek
Aug 24, 2004
Tried the restart thing last night and I did shut down PS before doing any prefs surgery on it…still no joy. Illustrator is working perfectly though.

:/

J>
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 24, 2004
Double-check your double click speed in your mouse drivers.
JW
Julian_Welek
Aug 24, 2004
I’m only using a single click, so are double click settings relevant?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 24, 2004
Because if your double click is set to maximum, a single click will be recorded as two, hence opening the flyout menu… We’ve seen this problem countless times, trust me!
JW
Julian_Welek
Aug 24, 2004
Hmmmm….okay. I’ve tried slowing the double click speed in the OS X system prefs, but it hasn’t made any difference there. This just means that double clicks don’t need to clicked so quickly to be registered – I’m not sure how this could affect me…

This IS what you meant though, yes? 🙂

If you meant whether I have a repeating single click set – well, I don’t have anything set up like that AFAIK. USB Overdrive doesn’t give me that option.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 24, 2004
what about connecting the mouse direcly, without USB overdrive?
JW
Julian_Welek
Aug 24, 2004
Okay, I found that after disabling USB Overdrive and plugging in my old Apple mouse the same thing was happening again – BUT – if I tapped the ‘button’ very, very lightly, I could change the tool WITHOUT the flyout appearing most of the time.

Switching back to the new mouse and driver, I could just about do the same thing if I was careful. It seems that the flyout menu has become super sensitive on me for no particular reason. Is there any way I can increase the time it takes to pop up?

Many thanks… 🙂
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 24, 2004
Photoshop does NOT control the double-click speed of the mouse. Your OS or the mouse drivers does. Search for any other changes you made to your machine that might have caused that. New software/hardware installed?
JW
Julian_Welek
Aug 24, 2004
I wasn’t saying that PS was controlling the double click speed of my mouse – I was saying that the flyout menu appeared to be more sensitive then usual – it isn’t waiting as long before it flies out.

Illustrator behaves as expected, as do the other 6 apps open on my machine right now. I’ve also been a PS user for a few years now, so this is unusual behaviour for me…

Is there any was I can test this?

Apart from my new mouse 2 weeks ago, there have been no other changes to my system.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections