Help a novice out with a maddening proofing issue…please!

X
Posted By
xring
May 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay so here is the problem. I have a decent monitor for my MAC (a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB). I have calibrated it with a Spyder using OptiCAL. I’m running Photoshop CS v.8.0. Using OSX 10.3.9. And I’m printing with an Epson 1280.

Here is the problem:

I open a tagged or untagged jpeg of known quality in Preview (the app., not the box) and it looks fine. Just as I would expect it to. When I open the same image in PS, using U.S. Prepress Defaults as my color settings, I get an image that is much too saturated in reds. I turn on soft proofing using my monitor profile setting and the image will almost exactly match the image that is open in PREVIEW. Now, I don’t know if the reddish image is just raw RGB numbers that are displayed unaltered when opened in PS. If they are, they are of no value to me to edit in. I have to turn on soft proofing>monitor or print space to do any useful adjustments. Is this normal? If so, is there any way to leave soft proof>Monitor on all the time? I have done some editing in the reddish image to make it look right, but when I save the image and open it in another app. it looks under-saturated in reds. If I print the image after soft proofing for the paper I’m using I get a very close match to the proof on the monitor, so I believe that everything is working as it should.

I noticed that when I turn color management off in the color setting dialog box my image will look normal again. Is it possible that I am somehow applying a color correction twice, as can happen when setting up a paper profile in the printer dialog box and then also in the printer driver? Or am I just missing something else in my set up? This issue is driving me nut!

Thanks,

Kevin

She loves her wooden hairbrush, I just fear it!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
neon
May 10, 2006
xring wrote:
Okay so here is the problem. I have a decent monitor for my MAC (a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB). I have calibrated it with a Spyder using OptiCAL. I’m running Photoshop CS v.8.0. Using OSX 10.3.9. And I’m printing with an Epson 1280.

Here is the problem:

I open a tagged or untagged jpeg of known quality in Preview (the app., not the box) and it looks fine. Just as I would expect it to. When I open the same image in PS, using U.S. Prepress Defaults as my color settings, I get an image that is much too saturated in reds. I turn on soft proofing using my monitor profile setting and the image will almost exactly match the image that is open in PREVIEW. Now, I don’t know if the reddish image is just raw RGB numbers that are displayed unaltered when opened in PS. If they are, they are of no value to me to edit in. I have to turn on soft proofing>monitor or print space to do any useful adjustments. Is this normal? If so, is there any way to leave soft proof>Monitor on all the time? I have done some editing in the reddish image to make it look right, but when I save the image and open it in another app. it looks under-saturated in reds. If I print the image after soft proofing for the paper I’m using I get a very close match to the proof on the monitor, so I believe that everything is working as it should.

I noticed that when I turn color management off in the color setting dialog box my image will look normal again. Is it possible that I am somehow applying a color correction twice, as can happen when setting up a paper profile in the printer dialog box and then also in the printer driver? Or am I just missing something else in my set up? This issue is driving me nut!

Thanks,

Kevin
http://www.gballard.net/nca.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections