K
Posted By
kevinma
Jul 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve noticed something that I hadn’t noticed before. When using Smart Sharpen as I always do, I check the preview box and see the effect of sharpening on my main image (in addition to the preview image box in the SS dialogue). After I click OK to apply the sharpening the degree of sharpening applied to the final image product is much less than it was when I previewed it. Is there a reason for this? Thanks.
Kevin

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jul 21, 2006
Were you previewing at 100% and then changed to a different view to see the sharpening applied to the whole image?

You must view the image at 100%.
K
kevinma
Jul 21, 2006
Ramon, thanks. No not necessarily at 100% but whatever the percentage, it is the same before and after smart sharpening – which doesn’t make sense to me… i.e. I adjust the sharpening parameters so that the image looks good and sharp, then I click OK and then the image softens a bit (but it has still been sharpened compared to the original)…
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2006
Again:

You must view the image at 100%.
K
kevinma
Jul 21, 2006
Why?
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2006
You must view the image at 100% because that is the only accurate view of your image.

All other views are fake representations of your image; they either discard information (pixels) if you view them at something less than 100%, or they make up (invent) pixels if you view them at magnifications greater than 100%.

It’s basic math.
D
Dirk
Jul 21, 2006
View at 100%, a must.

There you go, said a different way.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 24, 2006
kevinma, viewing at 100% is almost the fundamental theorem of Photoshop. If you don’t get that, you don’t get any of it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections