RG
Posted By
R_Griese
Jan 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve created a web photo gallery that I can view on my own pc using browser. How can I share the photo gallery on the web? ie a website?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JG
JR Gardiner
Jan 29, 2004
That’s one alternative.

Another is to use an FTP client to post your gallery to your own site. Many
ISPs offer free web space and the directions for using them vary from ISP
to ISP – so I can’t be more specific. PSE2 creates package that works
just fine – I’ve used it many times. The only "trick" is to make sure that
you upload the entire package – everything that it creates, including the
folders. You didn’t mention your operating system, so I don’t know if
you have a built in FTP program (WinXP does), but they are readily
available from freeware/shareware sites like Tucows.

Hope that helps

Regards,
John Gardiner
I don’t do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

wrote in message
| I’ve created a web photo gallery that I can view on my own pc using browser. How can I share the photo gallery on the web? ie a website?
PD
Pete_D
Jan 29, 2004
What ISP do you use? (internet service provider, like AOL , MSN, Earthlink etc)

Most all ISP’s provide a set amount of space on the internet for a personal web page. Some have very simple web building programs that are available on their home page. That is a place to start.

Pete
RG
R_Griese
Jan 29, 2004
Thanks Pete,
I use AOL and know that they have the capability to create web pages but I don’t know how to attach all the files that I need from the web photo gallery that are automatically created. Any suggestions?
B
bethC
Jan 29, 2004
The web album creates the following:
Gallery folder, images folder, pages folder, a Thumbnail Frame html page, and an index html page. This is only a suggestion. You need to put all these documents in another folder. Call the folder for example Β“AlbumΒ”. Load the whole thing to your website. So on your server in a folder called Β“AlbumΒ” and you have inside that folder – Gallery folder, images folder, pages folder, a Thumbnail Frame html page, and an index html page.
Now from your main page which is also called index.htm or index.html you create a link to this folder. The reason you probably are having trouble is your main web site has a page called index and the web album creates a page called index. . . so there is a conflict.

I’d write the coding for the link – but I can’t seem to get it to show up on this forum board. beth
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 30, 2004
I’d write the coding for the link – but I can’t seem to get it to show
up on this forum board.

Beth,

Leave out the brackets. Substitute round brackets ( ) and it should show.

Juergen
B
bethC
Jan 30, 2004
Okay thanks Juergen.

(a href="Album/index.html" target="_blank")Photo Album(/a) This would be the coding that links to page where the web photo gallery is. Just replace the round brackets in the coding with <> brackets.

beth
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 30, 2004
Hi Beth, Just reading here, your help and instructions,,,,,,,I am just thinking about having a real web page too, (not that I don’t love pbase, they are the answer to my photo album needs), but it is some of this technical information about a real site that confuses me.
I did purchase GoLive 6 last fall, but it seems to be rather complex, I have started some lessons with it.
I still am a bit intimidated by this whole thing, how to link your folders, your pictures, and everything.
If I decide to go ahead with it, and have problems, I will be asking some questions here. I must really get my courage up and do it, as it would be nice to have my own page, to be able to add pictures and text as I want.
Jane
B
bethC
Jan 30, 2004
Hi Jane
I like the pbase although I’ve never used it. I have Adobe GoLive but I use Macromedia DreamweaverMX. I haven’t had a change to play with the GoLive program yet. I’ve just taken a quick look at it. I like designing websites. I started out teaching myself html language and that made it easier for me to understand web site problems. I’m sure with your lessons, you will have no problem getting your site going. If you have problems, post them as I’m sure there are a number of us here who could help you. πŸ™‚

beth
J
jhjl1
Jan 30, 2004
Beth have you ever used Net Objects Fusion and if so how does it compare to Go Live or Front Page? Front Page is all I have managed to conquer, Go Live seems more complicated. I just received Net Objects Fusion as part of a package with a new website and haven’t had time to play with it yet.

Have A Nice Day, πŸ™‚
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
S
Spider
Jan 30, 2004
wrote in message
I must really get my courage up and do it, as it would be nice to have my
own page, to be able to add pictures and text as I want.
Jane

Jane, this site may be help to you. I went through these lessons and was able to build my own basic site.
http://webdesign.about.com/c/ec/9.htm
Ron
B
bethC
Jan 30, 2004
James, I haven’t used Net Objects Fusion. I’ve looked at Frontpage – when helping someone with a website problem. I think GoLive does seem a little complicated especially for beginners and pages made in GoLive are not easily transferable to another web editing program. You can download a trial version of Dreamweaver – try it too. Try them all and then you can better decide what one would best meet your needs and which one you feel most comfortable using.

beth
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 30, 2004
Jane et al

If you need any help developing a site I am also available. For five years I earned my daily bread writing code. I am familiar with HTML and CSS (Styles), and know enough about JavaScript and PHP to write all that I need (although not a guru in these black arts). With the exception of the Challenges all my code is handwritten, with the help of an editor and code verifiers. The Challenges for the most part are generated with underlying scripting and Styles that I wrote. With this in mind if you have problems with WYSIWYG programs like GoLive, Dreamweaver and FrontPage I may be of very little help. I can modify the code generated by GoLive and Dreamweaver, but I find it is usually easier for me to redo the code from FrontPage.

g.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Jan 30, 2004
I do not do web pages for a living, but I do create my own web pages for my quilt related business and I create pages for on line classes too. Very basic stuff, but it works for me. I’ve used the free Netscape Composer that comes with Communicator to do my web pages for many many years. It had/has so many quirks that I learned a lot of html to fix things! LOL Despite those quirks, I’ve become very fond of…and very used to using a WYSIWYG type web page editor. I like this type of editor because it’s like I’m typing in a word processor.

Recently I redid my church’s web site and I had to find a software that was backwards compatible. The church’s computer is old, but still used every day. The church secretary updates several of the pages weekly so I had to find something that I could use with Windows XP and that she could use with Windows 95. I found a very nice free webpage editor, called Trellian WebPage. It’s fairly easy to use and has everything anyone would need if they want to get their feet wet doing their own web pages…or wanted to creating a site to post their PSE designed web galleries. πŸ™‚

I do my graphics with Elements, CorelDraw, and PhotoPaint, but I put my pages together now with Trellian WebPage. I still use the old reliable WSftp to upload files, but I can use it right inside WebPage.

R Griese, if you are looking for something to get you started, you might want to take a look at WebPage. You will still need space to park your pages on the Internet, but this little editor may help you put it all together.

<http://www.trellian.com/webpage/index.html>

Side note: I’ve also used WebPage to edit the action file template needed to run new actions via R. Lynch’s method. It’s a lot easier because you can actually see what you are doing!

My 2 cents+ worth. πŸ™‚
Patti
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 30, 2004
wrote…
I’ve created a web photo gallery that I can view on my own pc using
browser. How can I share the photo gallery on the web? ie a website?

The information in link below provides background for HTML and other concepts.

The specifics about how to upload pages depend on the computer you are using, and what programs are available (GoLive, Deamweaver, etc.) It really helps to have a tutuorial that covers the basics. Even if you will not create the HTML by hand, you should create a simple page by hand so that you get the concept.

I’ll keep my eyes open for something that covers Mac or PC.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/html_basics/

This is not necessarily directed at the original poster.

Ed
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 30, 2004
This page does a good job of explaining FTP concept:

http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/upload.html

Below is an additional link that gets you to the start of their HTML intro. I’ve used this in a class when I had no supporting material. Everyone was able to use the tutorial and create a web page using nothing more than Notepad. On a Mac you would use Simpletext.

http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/

No matter what programs you’ll eventually use, you need the basic concepts.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 30, 2004
Thank you everybody! I feel more confident now, and should perhaps go ahead with this. I have taken several HTML classes, and I seem to understand it and have made tons of practise pages. But it is the whole process of the GoLive and the FTP and getting a web host that is a bit intimidating to me.
I have used Composer, and changed the code to do what I needed it to do. I have got www.jcarter.net already.
Yes, I will do this! Courage!
Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 30, 2004
I just looked on my calendar and found that that I also had purchased www.jcarter.us and it is coming up for renewal in May. So I better do it too.
I guess it is a good idea to have both .us and .net?
Just have to remember how to do it,,,,,,,
Jane
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 30, 2004
wrote:
Thank you everybody! I feel more confident now, and should perhaps go ahead with this. I have taken several HTML classes, and I seem to understand it and have made tons of practise pages. But it is the whole process of the GoLive and the FTP and getting a web host that is a bit intimidating to me. I have used Composer, and changed the code to do what I needed it to do.
I have got www.jcarter.net already.
Yes, I will do this! Courage!
Jane

You can do it. Once you get the FTP settings correct in GoLive, they will work for you.

You need 3 pieces of information, and the webhost will give them to you.

Server name
Account name
Password

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 30, 2004
Thank you for the info, I will start playing with GoLive so that I can see what everybody is talking about.
About the domain names, I will let the .us one run out, just will use the www.jcarter.net. I guess one is all anyone would need anyway.
I have chosen a web host, a Mac one that has phone tech support. It is www.itsamac.com and I’ve already talked with their tech support person. Very nice and helpful! and beginner-friendly, so I guess I better get going and do this!
I have started a GoLive class, and this sure is going to be fun. It is about time that I got around to doing this. Pbase does such a wonderful job for people like me, whose web site is just going to be photo albums anyway, that they made me lazy.
I will start firing questions at everybody pretty soon,,,,,, Thanks again, Jane
RG
R_Griese
Feb 2, 2004
bethC Ed, and all, thanks for the comments to my questions. Your answers were very helpful!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections