HT
Posted By
harry_teasley
Sep 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m getting a lot more "Could not farfle blag because of a program error" messages, when I used to get more specific messages. It’s particularly scary because previously, the only time I ever got a "program error" message would be a situation where PS had completely stuffed itself, and wouldn’t save files until I would quit and restarted it. So when I see that error message, my heart skips a beat, and I assume I’ve lost work.

If you try to move a selection when your current layer is hidden, you’ll get a "program error" message now: you used to get a "Could not move the selection because the target layer is hidden" error. You’ll also get it if the clipboard is empty and you try to copy a selection from a hidden layer.

It seems most of these generic error messages have to do with hidden layers, the behavior of which changed fairly dramatically with CS2 (in that layers do not auto-unhide when you select them), so I’m not surprised by this. But anyway, I think they need fixing. "Program error" messages really freak me out.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
Since very few people have reported the same behaviour I suspect your PS installation needs fixing…

Have you tried trashing the prefs?
HT
harry_teasley
Sep 20, 2006
I’ve done that recently, for another issue, and have reinstalled this PS once before as well. Do you get the specific error messages in the instances I cited?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
I don’t, but I still run CS

I haven’t seen much on those errors here either.

What system are you running?
HT
harry_teasley
Sep 20, 2006
If you’re running CS, then of course you won’t see this problem: I’m running CS2, and the errors are correct in CS.
GD
george_dingwall
Sep 20, 2006
Hi Harry,

I’m running CS2 and dont’t get the sort of error messages that you are in the circumstances you describe.

Bye for now.
HT
harry_teasley
Sep 20, 2006
Sigh… OK, thanks. My machine is the devil.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
I too have have noticed the degradation of the information in error messages when you try to do something impossible. A "user error" is NOT a "program error".

I hope it doesn’t deteriorate to the M$ level!
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 20, 2006
Actually, if you get an accurate, detailed error message, it often means "I, as programmer, know something is broken in here but it is easier for me to write this message then it is to actually find the problem and fix it."

Obscure errors come when something untoward happens that shouldn’t. A generic message gets generated. If you are getting a lot of them (most of us don’t) something is probably unique on your system.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
When I do get them (rarely of course!) it’s because I tried something impossible.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2006
Me, I attempt to divide by zero 6, maybe 8 times a day.

It never seems to work. Is this a problem with my hardware, my software or my wetware?

😉
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 20, 2006
Me, I attempt to divide by zero 6, maybe 8 times a day.

Thought I was the only one…

Harry,

When I hide a layer, and am on that layer, then draw a selection and try to move it, I get an error, but the error message reads:

"Could not complete your request because the target layer is hidden"

So, in CS2 I DO get an error, but it’s pretty clear…
ME
Manuel_Edwards
Sep 25, 2006
I often get "Could not use the move tool because the target chanel is hidden."

get this error even if I have the layer visible and selected. Wassup?
ME
Manuel_Edwards
Sep 25, 2006
I think I stumbled across the answer. It only happens when in "Quick Mask" mode.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections