LT
Posted By
Louisa_Thompson
Feb 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I take digital photos and use them in Powerpoint presentations, and I also print them for exhibits. The original files downloaded from the camera are 11MB TIFF files if I use the highest quality setting. If I set it to "fine," I get JPG files that are just over 1 MB.

I really don’t understand the different formats for saving photo files. I don’t do a lot of editing – just crop and auto-enhance, usually. If I were to do one more thing, it would be to add a caption and copyright line.

In Powerpoint, if you use too large a file, the photo doesn’t appear in the presentation on some laptops – you get a big red X. So I need to save my photos in smaller files for use in Powerpoint. I’ve been using JPG, but now I’ve been told that JPG is unstable – that you lose some data each time you open the file.

I have Windows XP with Powerpoint 2002, but I don’t have my own laptop, so I make a CD for each presentation. Then I can show the presentation in Powerpoint 2000 or 98. I don’t do any fancy animation, so I don’t lose anything by that.

Which image formats are best for exporting to Powerpoint? I’ve been advised to use file sizes no larger than 500KB, although I think it’s OK to go a little higher.

Can the same image formats be used on an Epson Stylus Photo 1280? If not, which give the best resolution? I like to print 8×10 or even larger, if the resolution is good enough.

Thanks for any advice.
Louisa

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 8, 2004
but now I’ve been told that JPG is unstable –
that you lose some data each time you open the file.

Common misconception.
You lose data each time you open the file in an image editor, make any changes, then resave.
Simply viewing the file with any pic viewer/editor, including as a PP presentation, has no effect on it at all.

Mac
JG
JR Gardiner
Feb 8, 2004
I believe you should experiment with PSE2’s "save for web" — just be sure to save the image under
a different file name (that will protect your original). You can resize the image to something around
800 pixels (width) and adjust the quality (slider bar). The preview pane shows you what the effect
of your changes would be.

If it were me, I’d print using the original and use the "save for web" only for the presentations.

PS: – Nothing unstable about jpgs. They’re fine for your presentations.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
John Gardiner
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
wrote in message
| I take digital photos and use them in Powerpoint
presentations, and I also print them for exhibits. The original files downloaded from the camera are 11MB TIFF files if I use the highest quality setting. If I set it to "fine," I get JPG files that are just over 1 MB.
|
| I really don’t understand the different formats for saving photo files. I don’t do a lot of editing – just crop and auto-enhance, usually. If I were to do one more thing, it would be to add a caption and copyright line.
|
| In Powerpoint, if you use too large a file, the photo doesn’t appear in the presentation on some laptops – you get a big red
X. So I need to save my photos in smaller files for use in
Powerpoint. I’ve been using JPG, but now I’ve been told that JPG is unstable – that you lose some data each time you open the file.
|
| I have Windows XP with Powerpoint 2002, but I don’t have my own laptop, so I make a CD for each presentation. Then I can show the presentation in Powerpoint 2000 or 98. I don’t do any fancy animation, so I don’t lose anything by that.
|
| Which image formats are best for exporting to Powerpoint? I’ve been advised to use file sizes no larger than 500KB, although I think it’s OK to go a little higher.
|
| Can the same image formats be used on an Epson Stylus Photo 1280? If not, which give the best resolution? I like to print 8×10 or even larger, if the resolution is good enough.
|
| Thanks for any advice.
| Louisa

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections