MH
Posted By
Martha_Huizenga
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
can I create CD Labels with Avery templates in Photoshop Elements. I have an example in Photoshop, but can’t seem to open it – says the file is corrupt. Can I open a Photoshop file in Elements?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
I’m not positive but i think you need the appropriate software that will create/print labels from the Avery templates. I have ‘Printmaster’ that will do it but i know there are quite a few others out there. Perhaps someone else will step in with a workaround for Elements.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
well I just tried it from my Printmaster and they wont open in Elements since it’s an lbl. file and this is the only way it allows you to save it in Printmaster. what software are you using to create the label ??
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Feb 10, 2004
Martha,
I have Printmaster as well and use it. You can downoad templates from Avery , and some of the Avery products come with a disk.
Ken
MH
Martha_Huizenga
Feb 10, 2004
I was hoping I could use Elements to create the actual look on the CD. The photoshop file I have (that I can’t open) in the preview in browse looks like a CD and it was actually created with Photoshop. Maybe Elements has a limitation over Photoshop in this area. I hadn’t actually looked in the Avery folder yet for Software, so I am loading what I got now.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 10, 2004
If you go to neato.com, they have photoshop templates for both mac and windows for all their label styles. They are designed for use with neato/fellowes labels, obviously, but all brands of cd labels are laid out about the same. I myself prefer to use their appleworks or word templates, though, because the photoshop templates are set for 150 dpi/ppi, for some reason.

For the windows templates you want the ‘mediaface’ software. For the mac templates, follow the (deceptive) links that say "third-party downloads." Personally, I do always buy their labels because they are just as good as avery’s and a lot cheaper.

BTW, I hope you aren’t planning to label data cds–not a good idea.
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 10, 2004
Depending on your label printing software, you can make an image in Elements, save it as a jpeg and insert it into the label program.

I have done this on a couple of occasions. I use Click ‘n Design 3d to make cd labels with.

I’ve not tried to create a template in Elements and print to the labels that way.

Dck
MH
Martha_Huizenga
Feb 10, 2004
Barbara,

Maybe I am missing something, but what do you mean that labeling data CDs is not a good idea?

We are a company and provide data CDs with set up information for our product. So we want them to be labeled with our logo etc.

martha
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 10, 2004
BARBARA, Why not? I have music galore but not on CD’s. I bought "CD/DVD Label Maker. I haven’t even installed it so know nothing about it. Now it looks like I won’t have use for the software.
Marty
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 10, 2004
We are a company and provide data CDs with set up information for our product. So we want them to be labeled with our logo etc.

Well, the labels can get stuck in the drive and that won’t make you a lot of friends with the people getting the cds. If you want to label disks to use in a computer, it’s best to silk-screen them. The labels can also affect the balance of the cd in the drive, too.

I do use labels, but only on audio cds. For data I label with a sharpie marker. It’s up to you. of course, but you should be aware there is a little risk involved in sending out data cds with labels. You might want to look into the new prelabelled cds. Of course, you’d need a printer that can print on them.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 10, 2004
wrote:

Well, the labels can get stuck in the drive and that won’t make you a lot of friends with the people getting the cds. If you want to label disks to use in a computer, it’s best to silk-screen them. The labels can also affect the balance of the cd in the drive, too.

The labels can definitely cause problems.

OTOH, I’ve been able to fix disk read problems by using a blank cd label.

And this also reminds me of a problem I had with a silk-screened install cd. I put a blank label on it and was able to use the cd.

I would go with silk-screened CD’s as Barbara recommends, and test those.

Ed
WM
Wally_Mavican
Feb 11, 2004
I think you can do what you are wanting to do with this labeling kit:

<http://www.neato.com/mediaface.html>

Wally
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Sam’s sells something called a CD Stomper (I think that’s what the name was) but it had a warning on it not to use with a certain brand of blank CD’s – I think it was Maxell or one of the other premium brands. In any event, when I saw that, I put it back on the shelf and bought a 12 pack of Sharpies!
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 11, 2004
I quickly got over the novelty of labeling my own music CDs… too much work/$ for too little benefit, for my own use. I now use the Snyder-approved Sharpie method except when, on occasion, I’ll make a nice label if I’m giving a disc as a gift.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Byron, I should add that I have no commercial interest in the Sanford Corporation (a division of Newell Rubbermaid), maker of the incomparable Sharpie line….
🙂
Chuck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections