JT
Posted By
John_Tilghman
Sep 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a client who is sendind us a PDF created in Photoshop the black text is made up of 100% of CMYK.

The text is set to 100% K in Photoshop we verified this but when she prints to Adobe PDF the black text has color.

If you save as PDF then the black text is now correct. Anyone else come across this? I have checked the Adobe PDF printe driver to be sure it was configured correctly and and to verify what job options were being used.

The save as feature works OK but now I’m on a mission to find out why the print method of creating a PDF does not work.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 12, 2006
The text is set to 100% K in Photoshop we verified this but when she prints to Adobe PDF the black text has color.

What print settings doe sshe use?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 12, 2006
She SHOULD be saving as a Photoshop PDF/Press Quality/Leave Colors UNchanged.

"Printing to PDF" appears to create a file suitable for printing on an Ink Jet using RGB parameters.

Why is she "Printing to PDF" anyway?
JT
John_Tilghman
Sep 12, 2006
Good question, I would have assumed that printing to Adobe PDF would get the same results as printing to Adobe PDF from Indesign which would cretae a PDF using distiller instead of a built in PDF library.

I would always opt for the distilled flavor of PDf over the saved as or exported they have always been trouble free for me.

Looks like I need to do some reading.

Thanks for the reply.
JT
John_Tilghman
Sep 12, 2006
I don’t know specifically what she was using but I used our distiller job options in testing here and got the same results that the client did.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 12, 2006
I am assuming that you and your client are both using Photoshop CS2?

I have just tested this and checked the files in Acrobat 7 Pro.

"Saving As" a Photoshop PDF/Press Quality/Leave Colors UNchanged results in 100% K Type remaining as 100% K Type.

"Printing to PDF" does create a file suitable for printing on an Ink Jet using RGB parameters with the 100% K Type changed to the regular RGB/CMYK rendering of Black as a 4-color Black depending on your CMS.

Distilling is no longer necessary with the CS2 Programs.
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2006
Distilling is no longer necessary with the CS2 Programs.

I concur.

I have not Distilled a PDF even when I have been asked to and have never had a problem. Saying Distiller makes a better PDF is a myth.

I’ve not used Distiller since version 5.0.5
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 13, 2006
There are times where as when files become physically or megabyte size wise too large that you need to distill files cuz the built in PDF generator in In Design blows up…

There are times in which some fonts do not embed correctly.

There are times in which some specific kinds of transparency does not work in PDF export, but generating Postscript and Distilling does.
B
Buko
Sep 13, 2006
I’m sure you are correct but I have not encountered any of those scenarios yet.

But to use Distiller because someone told you exporting is bad is just silly.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 13, 2006
There are times in which some fonts do not embed correctly.

Are these fonts only those from Type Foundries that do not permit embedding (such as P22) or have you experienced this with fonts from companies with a more user-friendly policy in this regard (such as Adobe)? And, if so, which particular typefaces or font suppliers were involved?

As a matter of principal, I suggest embargoing all Font Suppliers that forbid font-embedding in PDFs.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 13, 2006
Glyphs are always a problem with Export.

Export in In Design youst to be really bad. It’s getting better and a few top In Design Beta testers say that exporting Postscript and distilling is still pretty much fool proof.

90% of the time, Export PDF from In Design should be fine.

Buko,

You have to remember that I see all kinds of files in my work environment.

mo
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 13, 2006
I use a number of OTF Pro fonts with ligatures and have been fortunate enough not to have run into any problems when exporting directly from InDesign CS2 to PDF.

(However, I can’t speak for QXP. Fortunately.)
B
Buko
Sep 13, 2006
You have to remember that I see all kinds of files in my work environment.

Yeah I don’t envy you at all.

That’s why I don’t do prepress anymore.
PT
Phil_Taz
Sep 13, 2006
Nothing like a forum to expand your vocabulary…..but ‘youst’ ? hmmmm…

Anyhow, from the prepress bunker downunder, we have no problems at all with export from cs2.

MO, you referred to glyph problems, which reminds me that we had an issue with people using system dingbats glyphs and then supplying ITC dingbats as the required font and the character set is different and we had a brief period of some issues while people came to terms with packaging their jobs and we removed unnecessary system fonts from our systems.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 13, 2006
Part of the issues are not Adobe related, but Apple related with the font mess that OSX is.

enough said!

;O(

pisses me off to no end!
JT
John_Tilghman
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks all good replys, I could bot tell what kind of fonts were used due to them being outlined.

I work at a newspaper and early on when we strated using INdesign it was very convenient to use the export feature to make PDF files the problem I don’t think Adobe let anyone know that they should have updated their RIPS we had fonts blowing all over the place.

File that failed when exported printed fine when distilled. I think now everyone is up to speed and exported PDF files are pretty stable with the exception of some glyp characters (old school PI characters.)

Some of the biggest issues we see are clients distilling and bothering to read anything and using the incorrect job option and then have no idea what your’re talking about when you call them. Then you go through the twenty questions and training. I think if people classifiy them selves as designers they should know how to use the software.

I think I’ve said enough.:(
B
Buko
Sep 13, 2006
part of the problem with CS was the CID encoding of fonts which was changed with CS2. But just because you Distill does not mean that you eliminate any chance of the CID encoding.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 13, 2006
I’m thinking about buying a beach house in the Philippines and you guys can hash out what you want to do with fonts…

;o)
BG
barry_gray
Sep 14, 2006
The Philippines?
You really are a glutton for punishment!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 14, 2006
You have no idea….

;o)
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2006
The Philippines? You really are a glutton for punishment!

he does work in Prepress. B)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections