How do can I Immediately edit image upon import from twain (scanner)

KL
Posted By
Keith_LeBaron
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to PE-2. I had been using another program to scan documents with my scanner and then immediately crop the image. After scanning with PE-2, I had to exit my twain device before I could edit.
Tell me that there is a way around this. Now tell me what it is! Thank you.
Keith LeBaron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron Gale
Feb 11, 2004
Keith,

I am unaware of a way to return control to PSE without killing the TWAIN process… it irks me, too.

Byron
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
VueScan
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Feb 11, 2004
I’m able to import via the Epson Twain directly into Elements. A new, temporary file is created in the workspace and I can either import additional scans, edit the temp files while leaving the Twain interface up or kill it (which I do if I’m done scanning and then I also turn off the scanner). I’m running WinXP if that makes any difference.
Bob Warren
KL
Keith_LeBaron
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks, Byron, Nancy and Bob for your posts. I’ll give these ideas a try and see how it works. I am using my scanner as a copier and I frequently want to trim things before I print it out. I didn’t like having to abort twain, only to have to open it again for the next document.

Again, thanks much for your posts.

Keith LeBaron
KL
Keith_LeBaron
Feb 11, 2004
I had an opportunity to check out the suggestions from Nancy S. and Bob Warren today.

I guess I don’t know where to hit the hammer!

Nancy, I was unable to find any reference to VueScan in PE-2. I looked at Twain and I couldn’t find anything there on VueScan either. What drop-down menu is that associated with?

Bob, I wasn’t able to quite figure out your technique either. After I made a scan I clicked on file and then clicked on import once again, and as soon as I did, the program locked up. I will keep trying. It looks like I might be able to save the scan file. I will check that out again.

Thank you.
Keith LeBaron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 11, 2004
Keith, give us a little more information, such as the brand/model scanner you’re using and the software that came with it. Also, how do you access your scanning software? Mine is simply listed under the Import/Export menu of Elements, but it’s not straight "Twain." I click on the software name under Import, do my scan, the image opens in Elements, and then I just click again when I want to do another scan. Now, I did have to manually place the plug in for the scanning software in the Import/Export folder of the Elements application. I’m wondering if yours just didn’t get set up properly. Some scanners come with software that won’t allow the images to open automatically in Elements, but yours does, so I suspect there’s just something simple missing. More specifics might help us get this sorted out.

By the way, VueScan has to be purchased separately. It’s not expensive, but I don’t remember the price offhand. I used the demo once and liked it, but I was getting ready to replace my scanner so decided not to buy it. You might want to download it and give it a try. I seem to remember it can be configured so that Elements becomes the default program for opening scans, and it winds up in the list under the Import/Export menu of Elements.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Beth, according to its website (www.hamrick.com) Vuescan comes in two versions: standard ($59.95 US) and professional ($79.95); in other words, more expensive than Elements! I guess it must be good, though….
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 12, 2004
Trust me, Chuck, it was the $59.95 version that I would have tried! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 12, 2004
Beth, it looks like the differences are primarily in being able to set ICC profiles and set color spaces; also to do something called IT8 color calibration. I’m guessing Brent would tell you to go for the pro version!
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 12, 2004
Ah, but I now own that capability! I bought the Epson 3200 Pro, which comes with MonacoEZ Color calibration software. Of course it’s not out of the box yet, because I ordered a new computer yesterday and figured there wasn’t much point in loading all of this stuff on to the old one. Wish me luck. I’m either going to be forced to learn something about color management, or I’m going to auction off the whole room full of gear to the highest bidder and they can figure out how to use it! 🙂
KL
Keith_LeBaron
Feb 12, 2004
Thank you all for your input.
My system here is using the WIN 98-SE platform. The scanner is an antique Mustek 1200 III EP. The software that came with it is iPhoto 4 Plus which I updated some time ago. I believe this is Ulead software. I had some ACD software that came with a printer which I was able to use with the scanner.
Of all the software that I have purchased over the years, I have never had software with such an active and sopportive forum group as here on Adobe PE-2.
Thank you.
Keith
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 12, 2004
Oh, we’re active and supportive all right. It’s too bad we don’t have any answers to your questions! But I suppose it’s hard to get everything, huh? 🙂

I’m in trouble now, because I’m not familiar with either the kind of scanner you have nor the software. I do use an application by Ulead on my Win 98 machine, but it’s for a dedicated slide scanner, and I don’t even try to use Elements on that computer.

Have you checked the site with the VueScan demo yet? You might want to download it and see how it works for you. Even if you don’t buy it, you might see something about the way it works that could prove helpful in getting everything set up with your current software. Have you looked on the Ulead site for any information? That might be a good resource, too.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 12, 2004
VueScan doesn’t do TWAIN. Is standalone scan software. It will auto OPEN your scan in the proggie of your choice after saving the scan to hard drive however, letting you make another scan while working on the previous one.

VueScan won’t work with any Mustek scanner, though.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections