JD
Posted By
Jose_de_la_Reza
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I click browse for files PSE 2.0 crashes, it does not respond and an error is generated to mail to Microsoft. My system is XP Home Edition

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 18, 2004
Jose, the last time something similar to this came up as an issue on the forum, we learned the Browse feature had had a very large folder full of images left open at the time Elements was last shut down. Generating the thumbnails was choking the program.

Before trying anything else, try deleting the Preference folder, and it might clear up the problem. (No guarantees, of course!)

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a QUICK grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new preference folder will build as Elements continues to launch.

This might not clear up the problem, but it’s a good place to start. Please post back and update us.
JD
Jose_de_la_Reza
Feb 19, 2004
Thank you Beth, I tried your suggestion to delete the Preference folder, I did get the screen asking if I wanted to delete Settings. I clicked YES. Still when I click the Browse for files the PSE 2.0 crashes and it does not respond. I can also detect that the Browse feature is still generating a lot of thumbnails. I guess the solution is to stop the Browse feature from generating so many thumbnails. How is this done?
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 19, 2004
Jose,

Elements’ Browser will generate one thumbnail for every image in the current folder. If you have a great number of images in the folder, then Elements will make a great number of thumbnails.

You could try creating subfolders and portioning your images into them so that there is a smaller number of images for Browser to display at any given time.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 19, 2004
I guess I wasn’t as awake at 5:30 in the morning as I thought I was, because I forgot to give you the same advice Byron just did – create subfolders on your hard drive. Deleting the Preference folder was just a temporary fix to keep Elements from crashing.

You might also want to consider getting some kind of album software like Photoshop Album and doing your browsing from there. It generates thumbnails and then stores them in cache so they don’t have to be created each time you want to review image files in a folder. And you can open them automatically in Elements when you find one you want to work on. Personally, I make use of both systems. I keep the number of images in each folder fairly small, and I also use an album program when I want to be able to review a large number of files.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections