PD
Posted By
Pete_D
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone printed a photomerge image on Banner Paper? Something like 6" high x 40" wide?

If yes, what printer do you use and more importantly what software program did you use to print.

The reason I am asking is that I just answered a question on the HP forum concerning printing banners with an HP cp 1700 printer. It can print banners up to 5′ long but only from the following programs as stated in the HP help section of the printer;

Create a banner using software such as Corel® Print House, Microsoft Publisher, or Broderbund Print Shop.

In PSE I was surprised to see that there was no banner paper size option other than 8 1/2" x 11" or 11" x 17"; did not even have 13" x 19" that the
printer can handle. And "user defined" size does not allow the window to open to change the size. I am thinking this is a printer software issue and not under the control of PSE. So I will be curious to see what others have found.

Pete

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
Don_Girard
Feb 20, 2004
I recently upgraded to Win XP and lost the option of printing in ‘book or tablet’ format with my HP 1220C using the XP supplied drivers. I downloaded the latest drivers from the HP site and installed the printer again (different name) using the HP drivers. I now have the two printer configurations for the 1220C, using the XP version for default and the HP for special printing needs.

I just loaded a picture into PSE and selected the HP version for printing and now have an ‘user defined size’ available.

Before trying this, make sure that you create a ‘Restore Point’ in case "What ever could go wrong" does.

Don
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 20, 2004
Pete,
You’ve correctly surmised, I think, that banner printing is a function of the print driver, not Elements. I’ve printed 6" x 24" banners on my Epson 890, on roll paper , using Elements . There is generally a length limit associated with banner printing , and for my Epson, I believe the 40" is the limit. Don has good advice about the printer driver. Often, when a printer is recognized by Windows and installed, the user doesn’t realize what they are missing by not using the full featured driver from the printer OEM . Windows imbedded drivers are generally a poor subset of the full mfg driver.

🙂

Brent
PD
Pete_D
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks Don and Brent.

I do have the most current XP drivers and software for my cp1700 that were hurriedly written when XP was released.

Now I see that if I go through the "print" window and ignore the paper size warning I can click properties and it will bring up the user defined size and will accept 8.5 x 48" (and probably more.. But it will not do that from page set-up.

Don, that 1220 is a pretty nice printer. I had one and ran the dog crap out of it before HP gave me $100 trade in for this cp l;ast year. Since I use a lot of super heavy weight paper the drive on the 1220 gave me some problems and needed serviced a few times. But overall I liked the printer.

Pete

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections