Posted By
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,
I’ve been very happy with the performance of my G4 PowerBook with Illustrator CS for 6 months or so now, but I am about to install Photoshop CS as well.
I plan to wipe the drive, reinstall OSX, update OSX, then install PS (closer to the center of the drive for memory reasons is best, I hear) followed by Illustrator.
Are there any issues I should be aware of considering I am using 10.4.8, + updates? Thanks for any efforts!
L

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Nov 18, 2006
erasing your drive just to install photoshop is a waste of time.
LL
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
No, it needs to be cleaned anyway.
I was considering partitioning the drive for a PS scratch disk at the same time, but was waiting for someone to offer their thoughts on that as well.
R
Ram
Nov 18, 2006
I was considering partitioning the drive for a PS scratch disk

Don’t partition it. Since you have only one drive, partitioning won’t help you at all, as there will still be only one read/write head for the drive. Better to leave it unpartitioned, that way you’re not committed to a scratch disk space that may be too large or too small. More flexible that way.

Are there any issues I should be aware of

Yes, RAM. Max your machine out. Photoshop is the mother of all RAM hogs.
LL
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks R!
I’ve only got 1 G of RAM, but plan on adding more. Any cool tricks for custom installations/preferences you would like to share?
I am new to PS so I am very concerned that I start off on the right foot, you know? Up to this point I can only use the airbrush tool, eraser tool, and work in layers. Other than that – I have no idea what I am doing with PS! I can’t even do fills…I have to paint a section with the airbrush, then erase the oversprayed areas….
Pathetic.

These two were done using only the above tools.
Walter Matthau
< http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/131916/131916_114 0806560.jpg> Rodney Dangerfield
< http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/131916/131916_114 1839159.jpg>
B
Buko
Nov 18, 2006
Well you look like you are doing quite well.

Google Photoshop tutorials.

you can also download Photoshop podcasts from iTunes.

Photoshop Classroom in a Book is a good start also as it comes with a CD and walks you through learning exercises
LL
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks Buko! I’ll definitely check out that stuff.
I forgot to mention that I scanned my original sketches into PS and then painted over the scanned image. I used the trial version of PS at the time so I just didn’t have the time to learn the program AND create anything with it. Those two pieces took a long time to create doing it the way I did, and I kept thinking – there’s gotta be a faster way than this!
Errrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
Thanks again!
L

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections