T
Posted By
tmx
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to adjust the file size in Photoshop by file size? I often have to email a photo with a size limitation, say 200K. I want to be able to quickly adjust a photo from, say, 1MB to 200KB, without having to mess around adjusting the pixels again and again until it gets small enough.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
save for web
T
tmx
Nov 23, 2006
I have tried "save for web" in Photoshop but I don’t see where, in the window that pops up, you can change the file size and save it. At the bottom left of the window it says how big the file is, but I can’t change it.

Also, I don’t want to save all my photos for the web, with the reduced colors and dither adjustments and stuff. I just want to be able to save an image as 300K, or 200K, etc.
B
Buko
Nov 23, 2006
the quality of the jpeg changes the size of the file.
T
tmx
Nov 23, 2006
I understand that I can make a file smaller by adjusting the quality, the resolution, etc. What I’m trying to find out is if there is an option to decide first what size I want the file to be, without having to adjust the pixels, file format, resolution, etc. I thought that perhaps there was a shortcut, that there might be an option I haven’t yet located in Photoshop that would allow me to make an image exactly 200K, without having to first adjust the file type, resolution, etc.
R
richardleonardphotography
Nov 23, 2006
In CS2 (not sure if it is different in earlier versions), go to Save for web, click on the little arrow to produce the fly out menu at the top right of the preset box. Select optimize for file size & key in the file size you want. It isn’t exact, but it will try & get there for you

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections