Delete all layer info outside of image area? (what’s this called?)

CC
Posted By
Craig_Cheatham
Nov 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I apologize in advance for bringing up this topic since it must have been covered before, but I couldn’t figure out how search on it. I may have even asked for this help before. Sorry.

I paste an image into a file and the pasted info is larger than the the current image size. So there is pixel info that extends beyond the viewable area. If I select a small part of the newly pasted info and inverse the selection, and DELETE, Photoshop only deletes the the edge of the image area. The info outside of the viewable area is not deleted. When I want to transform the area I selected, the transform handles extend to the boundary of pixel info outside of the image area.

While it is helpful that the extended part of an image doesn’t disappear when the files is saved, I still want a command to DELETE ALL info outside of the image area. Currently I drag the image so the parts display in the image area and delete them bit by bit, but this is a pain.

What is this extended image area called?
How do I delete that area when needed?

Thanks,
Craig Cheatham

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CB
charles badland
Nov 28, 2006
Big Data.
Image>Trim.
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Nov 28, 2006
BIG DATA!! That’s it, I new I’d heard that, THANKS!

However, TRIM crops the image based on the upper left or lower right pixle color.

What I’m after is to delete (Trim) all the data outside of the image area, but maintain the current image size/dimensions. I may want to keep Big Data on other layers intact as well and only delete on my current layer.

Craig
CB
charles badland
Nov 28, 2006
That was a feature I thought Photoshop had: Select> All on one layer, then Select>Inverse and delete to eliminate big data from that layer. But I guess PS won’t let you do that.
B
Bernie
Nov 28, 2006
Select all

Image -> Crop
CB
charles badland
Nov 28, 2006
But that still eliminates "big data" on all layers. I think what Craig wants is to crop out big data on some layers, but retain it on others.

I may want to keep Big Data on other layers intact as well and only delete on my current layer.

Is there a way to do that?
B
Bernie
Nov 28, 2006
Select all

Command-J

Delete the layer with big data

This could be automated with an action
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
Elegantly simple, CN!
CB
charles badland
Nov 28, 2006
Very nice.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 28, 2006
Cropping Big Data only applies to raster art layers and not vector elements with raster fills.
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Nov 29, 2006
Thanks for the CMND-J info. That’s a useful workaround.
I’ve looked for CMND-J in shortcuts and couldn’t find it. Is this documented somewhere? Does it have a name?
I guess all it’s doing is copying the selected info into a new layer without changing it’s coordinates.

I still think their ought to be a modifier key that eliminates "Big Data" using the delete key.

Thanks again for the help.

Craig Cheatham
R
Ram
Nov 29, 2006
looked for CMND-J in shortcuts and couldn’t find it. Is this documented somewhere? Does it have a name?

Copy and Paste to new Layer.
B
Bernie
Nov 29, 2006
In the layer menu -> New
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 30, 2006
I call it "Jump to a new layer" (for the mnemotechnic association)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections