Posted By
William Donelson
Dec 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been asking for this feature every year since 1997 –

Be able to specify a gray gutter around ALL image windows, so that if zoomed to any size, the gutter still remains.

For example: A 100 pixel gray border around images allows all tools to be started and used outside the actual image. It also gives a neutral border around images to assist in clear viewing.

Cheers!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 2, 2006
How about hitting F and working in fullscreen?
WD
William Donelson
Dec 2, 2006
I often have pix which are 6000 x 2500, and zooming in always ends up with no gutter around the image sometimes. Hitting F does not solve that problem at all when zoomed in.

You’d need a window with a gray border (gutter), with scroll bars matching the image itself, and leaving the gutter with (of course) no scrolling.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 2, 2006
Not following you. From CS up hitting F will give you the ability to use tools started outside the image area. And you can move the image anywhere with the Hand tool. Definitely the way to work.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 2, 2006
I think what he wants is a live bleed – which is doable, but must have some kind of limits due to file size issues. But the receiving applications may barf on such a design and not insert the image at the 0,0 point. And yes, it’s been requested over and over and over…..
WD
William Donelson
Dec 2, 2006
Ed, sorry, don’t follow you.

I want to start in a non-image area, like if you are zoomed out. Right now, if you have a large brush, the brush doesn’t activate until the center (cursor) goes into the image area itself, unless there’s gray gutter around when you’re zoomed out. Savvy?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 2, 2006
Try it. When you are in Fullscreen (F) mode it does exactly what you want. There’s always a gray border whether you are zoomed in or out. You might have to move the picture a little with the Hand to get to the border when zoomed in, but it’s there. Tools work as you wish. Seems like the solution to me.

You need to have version CS or later.

Have you tried it?
B
Buko
Dec 2, 2006
Wouldn’t it be better to post a feature request in the feature request section or actually send the request in from the request page?
WD
William Donelson
Dec 2, 2006
Ed, I did try it, but not enough.

I didn’t realise that the grey border was there, just off the screen.

It’s not what I really wanted, but it’s good enough, thanks.

William
WD
William Donelson
Dec 5, 2006
I have been using Full-Screen mode for a couple of days now.

You are right: It IS "definitely the way to work" !!!

I have a 19" screen at 1600 x 1200 for my palettes, and a 21" image/main screen at 1600 x 1200. Great.

Wonderful, thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections