Posted By
Kevin_Boardley
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Cannot fathom an error I am getting with the copy command.

Selecting an area withthe marquee tool, copying and pasting into a different area works once. Trying to copy and past another area using the same command gives me the following message:

"Could not complete the copy command because the selected area is empty".

Almost certainly, I am making a basic error but I have not been able to work it out yet even from the help files.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

[XP Home, 1GB RAM]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobHill
Feb 22, 2004
Kevin,

I’ll bet you forgot to choose the right Layer. You made your selection but if you don’t have the right layer the next time the marquee will be over nothing and there will be nothing to copy. It may look like it’s over something, but it’s probably over a blank place on another layer.

Bob
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 22, 2004
Hi, Kevin: when you copied and pasted the first time, it created a new layer; when you went to copy and paste the second time, the new layer you created before was active and the selection tool couldn’t find any pixels in the area you selected because all that layer contained was the portion you copied before. What you want to do is switch back to the original layer by going to the Layers palette and click on the layer. Then the select, copy and paste should work for you.

Chuck
KB
Kevin_Boardley
Feb 24, 2004
Hi Bob, Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your replies. Will give that a go. I knew it was a basic error that I was making.

Cheers

Kevin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections