JD
Posted By
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, so I finally compared my images online on 2 different internet browsers side by side…safari and firefox…what a difference !
My images in ps are identical to what i see in safari, but many of my images look completely different, colour wise, in firefox. I set my colour policies to north american 2, adobe rgb in ps and convert to profile / save as srgb (1966) prior to uploading to the web…
Has anyone else experienced this? What am I doing wrong and what can i do to correct it so that i know that people viewing my images, regardless of the browser they are using, will see an accurate colour rendition of the images?
thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Dec 18, 2006
You’re not doing anything wrong.

The difference you’re seeing reflects the difference between sRGB and your monitor’s profile

Most browsers are not colour managed, and the same goes for most systems out there used to view your images. You have to live with it.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 18, 2006
profile your monitor to 2.2 gamma d65/6500

convert to sRGB before Save for Web, ImageReady or placing on the internet…

< http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPE Gprofiles.html>
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
The only color managed browser these days appears to be Safari Β—other than the now defunct Internet Exploder for the Mac.

All other browsers, including Internet Exploder for Windows will assume the image is indeed in sRGB (or a very similar, nebulous "monitor" profile) and will distort the colors accordingly if they are in any color space other than sRGB.
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 18, 2006
so despite "converting "profile to srgb (1966) it still won’t guarentee colours being seen accurately by other browsers other than safari?
B
Bernie
Dec 18, 2006
No because other browsers are not colour managed

As I said in my first post, you have to learn to live with it…
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Jordan,

Such is life. But if you convert to sRGB before saving for web, the colors will be much closer than any other space you use.

It’s a safe bet that over 90% of all Internet users don’t have accurately calibrated and profiled monitors anyway.
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 18, 2006
interesting experiment, google (image search) a famous image like mona lisa and see how many different colour variations you find…..scary!
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 18, 2006
thanks everyone,
like you said CN, I guess I’ll just have to learn to live w/ it .
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 19, 2006
just an update..Its beeen suggested by a very reliable individual that the best way to ensure that colours are realistically reproduced on all browsers (all other things being equal withthe monitor set ups) is to first save the file as srgb (1966) and then "save for web" which strips the colour profile and lets the browser & monitor display the colours ..and the colours should be pretty darn close… any commments ?
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 19, 2006
Your friend is wise. sRGB is a common standard.
Make sure you ‘convert’ to srgb and don’t ‘assign’ sRGB. I don’t know about ‘realistically’ though, there are too many variables in displays and browsers but srgb seems to be lingua franca or lowest common denominator!
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 19, 2006
so its clear to me, "saving for web" after converting to srgb is the way to go ? Then add captions and metadata in bridge ?
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2006
Jordan,

Your friend is telling you the same thing we’ve been telling yow since post #1: convert to sRGB.

If you want to retain Metadata, you should consider doing a Save As instead of Save for Web. Save for Web strips all Metadata, that’s why you have to add it afterwards. πŸ™‚
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2006
also it would be best to calibrate your monitor with a gamma of 2.2
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 20, 2006
thanks all,
you guys Rock!
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 20, 2006
update …again.. well I posted some images online after "saving for web" and the skin tones are very flat compared to my regul;ar srgb image… should i be editing in ps again after "saving for web" to compinsate for the marginal 256 colours (ie add red ) ?
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 20, 2006
ps ….
got to admit though, they do look very similiar now in both firefox and safari…
CB
charles badland
Dec 20, 2006
…the skin tones are very flat compared to my regul;ar srgb image… should i be editing in ps again after "saving for web" to compinsate for the marginal 256 colours…

Are you saving photos of people as GIFs??
Not a good idea.
R
Ram
Dec 20, 2006
and the skin tones aΒ… should i be editing in ps again after "saving for web" to compinsate for the marginal 256 colours (ie add red ) ?

Charles is being extraordinarily kind, tactful and diplomatic by saying that saving photos of people is "not a good idea."

I would have called it a monumentally dumb idea. But that’s just me being myself.
JD
Jordan_Deltscheff
Dec 20, 2006
….so I my next question would be..
1…why not "save to web" people..under what conditions would save to web be advantagious?
2..for those who shoot weddinds for instance (mostly people shots), do you save to web or just post the srgb image onto the web?
3…sounds like..too me..that "saving to web" is not the best choice for image quality..maybe going back to just saving in srgb(1966) would be the best (??).
CB
charles badland
Dec 20, 2006
no, no, no

Your statement of "256 colors" implied that you were saving the file in GIF format instead of JPEG.
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 20, 2006
SFW doesn’t change image quality. It just stops the profile being embedded.

If your monitor is set up as described earlier, and you make a photo look good on your own screen, it will look ‘good’ to others because their eyes will be tuned to their screen….its a relative concept, relative to their viewing conditions, you have to make it look ‘correct’ amongst all content as seen by a random viewer.

One day when all monitors are self calibrating and all applications are colour managed, you will embed a profile and your photos will look good anywhere. (in a dream world!)
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Jordan,

"Save For Web" does not automatically mean saving as a GIF. GIFs are terrible for photos of people, or for photos in general, but more so for people photos.

When saving for web, you can specify the format. Select JPEG.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Phil,

SFW doesn’t change image quality.

It sure as heck does if you save as a GIF, like Jordan’s mention of 256 colors implies. πŸ˜€
CB
charles badland
Dec 21, 2006
And I inferred (maybe incorrectly) from the mention of 256 colors (maximum for GIF images) along with a color change (which would not happen if the OP followed all other advice… AND saved as JPEG) that the Jordan might have been saving as GIF.
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 21, 2006
Poor Jordan’s head must be spinning now….!

If I might, I will try to condense this…

Jordan….

Since most web applications are not colour managed, your best option is to convert to; and save as; srgb, since that is the acknowledged default standard for unmanaged applications and photos.

Save for Web has options to convert to other formats, but they will not give the best result.

Save for Web also ‘strips’ the colour profile, which is not required if the image is only intended to view in non-‘colour managed’ situations. This reduces the file size.

Saving as jpeg with high quality setting will achieve a reasonable degree of compression with minimal loss of quality.

If your own (monitor and colour) setup is good and you correctly convert to srgb and save to jpg, you will present the images as well as can be expected in an imperfect medium.

Doing this will not fix a bad photo and may make a good photo look worse, but coming up with an acceptable initial skintone while adjusting the images in photoshop in srgb should result in reasonable result.

So in the end, the images that you create will probably have no other use but the web presentation you created them for…and people will see the images differently, there is no cure for that, yet!
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Phil,

You left out the format (presumably JPEG) in this paragraph:

Since most web applications are not colour managed, your best option is to convert to; and save as; srgb, since that is the acknowledged default standard for unmanaged applications and photos.

Unless you get a chance to edit it, it will make Jordan’s head come off. πŸ™‚

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections