MG
Posted By
Morton_Grossman
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an iMac "Jaguar" running OS 10.2.8.

OK, I can create a PDF slide show, burn it on a DVD, and play it on my computer. But I can’t play it on my DVD player on my TV; when inserted it reads "Incorrect Disc." What do I need in order to be able to do this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 1, 2004
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you can play/use PDF’s on a DVD player.

If you want to create a slide show that’ll play on a DVD player, I’ve found that it works best to create the slide show using iMovie. You then burn the movie/slide show to DVD via iDVD. The bonus to using this method is that you can add transitions, titles and text as well as a sound track to your slide show.

Or you can skip iMovie and just use iDVD.

What I’m suggesting here Morton, is to not use PhotoShop Elements for creating the slide show. Use iDVD and/or iMovie.

Here’s an example of a movie/slide show < http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/Movies/iMovieTheater61.h tml> that I put together for a similar question in another thread. It’s fairly large so let the page load completely to get the full effect (11.5mb). Even at that size, though, the actual movie is pretty small so it’s hard to read the credits at the end of the movie. Understand that if you were doing a similar project and were burning to a DVD or even a CD, you wouldn’t have this problem. I just thought you might like to see sort of what I’m talking about. Oh, make sure and have your speakers turned on or a pair of headphones. The sound track is great!

Joe

EDIT: No snow men were injured or killed in the making of this movie.
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 1, 2004
That was really cute, Joe. Except it killed Safari, so I had to watch it in IE. ???
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 2, 2004
Joe,

Nifty!! You’re right about the music… although the snowman did look a bit uncomfortable at times. 😉

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Mar 2, 2004
Hi Joe, That was really nice! (OK on Netscape 4.)
Goodness knows if I will figure out how to do slide shows like that for my grandkids. Will I be able to do this with my new iMac? iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, iEverything!

I’ve made several PDF slide shows but they won’t do the TV thing, so I use Graphic Converter for the Television stuff.

For example, if I want to do a slide show, its really easy, I put the pictures in a folder on my Powerbook, hook it up to the VCR into the TV, and fire up Graphic Converter. Its full screen on the TV, but no music or text can I do. Easy and nice but not very hi-tech.

I guess this new iMac is going to be wonderful, but I will have to learn how to do all this. Got one busy summer ahead of me.
Thanks for that great example,
Jane
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 2, 2004
Beth,

My boys are hard on just about everything. No doubt they broke Safari! 😉 Seriously, though, I have no idea why a QT movie would kill Safari and not IE. Weird.

Byron,

We used a highly trained, professional stunt snowman. 😉 He was pretty uncomfortable the next day when it got up to 40f and his abdomen and head took a tumble. He’s since melted into a big pile of slushy snow.

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Mar 2, 2004
That was a good one Joe. The music sounded vaguely Peanuts-esque.

Morton, Joe had a great example of what you can do in iLife. Of course it all depends how much time and energy you want to commit to the project.* If you’re in a rush, you can just edit your pictures in Elements, perform a Save For Web to a new folder, and burn the whole folder to a DVD. Many newer DVD players can play JPEG slide shows. Of course you won’t get all the fun stuff that Joe showed off, but it works remarkably well for something quick and dirty. You can even use Elements to create title slides. Just remember a TV will crop off about 15% from the edge of each image. Oh, and Elements does a much better job of scaling images than your DVD player does, so when you Save For Web, scale the images down to 640×480 (if you’re in the US or Canada). Good luck.

*–Note, I’m one of those crazies who spends way too much time in iLife.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 2, 2004
Jane,

Creating that slideshow was absurdly simple with iMovie. It’s even more simple with iDVD because of the way all the iApps work together. Just wait, you’ll be making movies and slide shows like mine (only better) in no time. Hurry up and get that iMac already! 😉

Joe
JC
Jane_Carter
Mar 2, 2004
I seem to be in the doggone dark ages, having to do everything the hard way, improvising all the time with the old stuff. Graphic Converter still does stuff that is amazing though.

Yes, that iMac is coming into my little store very soon! Will be coming into my ‘iLife’ soon! All these iApps and iLife sound as if they really fit together, and thats what I would really like. Need to have some easy stuff to play with.
(I wish I could climb up that GoLive learning curve as easily as PSE though.) This is all so much fun, just takes me longer ’cause I am older,,,,, Jane
DR
David_Ris
Mar 2, 2004
I do create slide shows, ‘cept I use Photoshop Album to create the show. It works reasonably well, and and the resulting PDF is easily shared with other PC and MAC users. Nice slide transitions, plus you can add music. I do slideshows for the local high school sports teams. The kids love the shows.

One weakness is that Album does not have a true DVD burning option. It will burn what are known as "VCD"s, which may be played on all but the earliest generation DVD players. The issue is that the resulting image quality is not up to my standards (nor will it be to most of the readers of this list, IMO).

For Windows users, I have heard that ULead has a good DVD slide show solution.

Hopefully Adobe will soon upgrade Album with a true DVD burning option.
DR
David_Ris
Mar 2, 2004
I do create slide shows, ‘cept I use Photoshop Album to create the show. It works reasonably well, and the resulting PDF is easily shared with other PC and MAC users. Nice slide transitions, plus you can add music. I do slideshows for the local high school sports teams. The kids love the shows.

One weakness is that Album does not have a true DVD burning option. It will burn what are known as "VCD"s, which may be played on all but the earliest generation DVD players. The issue is that the resulting image quality is not up to my standards (nor will it be to most of the readers of this list, IMO).

For Windows users, I have heard that ULead has a good DVD slide show solution.

Hopefully Adobe will soon upgrade Album with a true DVD burning option.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections