JB
Posted By
Joseph_Bailey
Dec 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use CS2 on a Mac Quad G5/8gig OS X .4.8. I tried to take a set of Canon raw images from Bridge to Tools/Image Processor and got the message listed above. Searching knowledge base and forums yielded no results. I fixed permissions and have over 4 gig empty space on the hard drive. All other functions under "Tools" seem to work. What is this message, and why is the term "Reference Error" and "810" not in the Adobe Help file or the Knowledge base?
Thanks,
Joseph

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 27, 2006
I fixed permissions and have over 4 gig empty space on the hard drive.

Ouch! That is pathetically little space left.

Anytime a hard drive gets to be over 85% full you are in deep trouble, but, regardless of the size of the hard drive, 4GB is not nearly enough to accommodate both the OS swap file and Photoshop’s scratch disk. I hope your primary scratch drive is set to a different hard drive, not your startup drive.

More details are needed before we can help.

What version of Photoshop and Bridge? Should be 9.0.2 and 1.0.4.6 respectively. What version of the Image Processor, 1.5.1?

The error message sounds related to the Image Processor, which is an add-on script written by Russell Brown that was available for CS as "Dr. Brown’s Image Processor", now added to CS2 as plain ‘Image Processor’. There is an update at Russell Brown’s web site. But I suppose the error could also be indicative of a bad install.

Go to Russell Brown’s web site, scroll down to "Dr. Brown’s Services 1.5.1 Easy Installer", and update:

<http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html>

What routine maintenance do you perform on your machine? Beside Repair Permissions and running the Cron Scripts (see next post), what routine maintenance do you perform on your machine? Do you have and run Disk Warrior? Have you run fsck -fy in single user mode?
R
Ram
Dec 27, 2006
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 27, 2006
He either has made a mistake about how much free space he has or he simply has to go to a store and buy another hard drive it will take 3 or 4 minutes to install the extra hard drive and he will love how fast things a 400 or 500GB hard drive for $200 should do it Seagate Barracuda is very good as I understand so is Hitachi.

Enjoy your extra storage capacity and speed increase. partition the second drive so that you have a 50-60 GB scratch disk partition for Photoshop on your second drive.

You will wish you had \done this sooner.
JB
Joseph_Bailey
Dec 27, 2006
CS2 updated. Bridge updated. Cocktail used. Delocalizer used. MacJanitor used. Extra hard drive obtained. Scratch disk space is over 100 gig. Dr.Brown’s Services updated.

The original problem is unchanged. I will use Dr. Brown’s Services as the work-around. Thank you for the prompt help….it is good to have a community willing to help.

Blessings,
JB
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 27, 2006
Well you needed the extra hard drive which will make you happier but I must say now it looks more like a simple incompatibility problem or corruption.

I missed that thing about Tools/Image Processor it crashes on me as well an I have a MacPro and 750 GB of space on two hard drives and 5GB of RAM.

It’s a dog.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 28, 2006
I have to apologize as I am finding out it is simply =that my Mac Pro dosen’t like the Bridge, the one that came withe PS CS 3 is alright but I still have crashes.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections