How To Crop Out Backgrounds??? need help!!

S
Posted By
smilesalot
Feb 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
crop out the background (COB) . Save each image as a separate PSD file , complete with layer mask. Do NOT delete the pixels hidden by the layer mask. Print and mount one of the images.

Hello, Im trying to crop out the background of a photo I have with a layer mask, can anyone tell me a step by step instructions on how to do this??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
smilesalot
Feb 5, 2007
I missed my class last week due to sickness and got a little lost, and havnt money for a book to look this up, I have tried fiddling around with it but am totally lost

thanks for any help =)!
B
Bernie
Feb 5, 2007
Put the artwork on a layer, add a layer mask. Paint black where you want to hide, white where you want to show, grey for trasnparency.

Check this thread out:

Phos…., "Advanced masking and isolation" #1, 27 Jan 2005 8:06 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Edit, you paint on the layer mask not the image
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 5, 2007
In addition…make sure the Background is converted to a layer by double-clicking on it in the Layers palette. The technique will not work otherwise.

Also, the word Crop is misused here. I have heard COB defined as Cut Out Background. Cropping is something else entirely.

There are lots of tutorials on the web for this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections