LF
Posted By
Lea_Fleming
Feb 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I’m using CS2 yet my program without any setting being modified or changed by myself I can’t open up any files. The error I recieved is can not open due to program error? My church have lost their copy of photoshop so I can’t re-instal? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
My church have lost their copy of photoshop so I can’t re-instal?

they lost an $800 piece of software, the collection plates must be overflowing.

Does it work correctly in a new user?
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
I’m having a similar problem with Photoshop 7. Here are some things that I have tried (none of which have worked for me, but apparently have worked for others):

Press Command + Option + Shift when opening Photoshop and when it asks "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?", press yes. Apparently if the settings are wonky then this "program error" can be caused.

Of course, reinstall if you can find a way (I tried this to no avail, so it probably wouldn’t do you any good either).

Also, try logging in as a different user (create another user profile if necessary). If that works, then it’s a problem with your "Library". Go back into your profile and rename your Library folder something else. Log out, then log in again. You will have "lost" your settings, but if that doesn’t fix photoshop’s "program error" then all you have to do is set your Library folder back to it’s original "Library" name, log out, then back in, and it will restore all your settings.

Other things that I’ve found as suggestions:
Disconnect and reconnect your internet (I don’t really understand why this might work).

Repair your disk permissions (I’ve got a program called Main Menu that does this. You can get it free from Download.com)

I started experiencing this problem with Photoshop 7 not being able to open any files at all after I ran the following tasks to clean up the performance of my computer (which was running pretty sluggish):
Repair Disk Permissions
Run Cron Maintenance Scripts
Clean User Caches
Clean Archived Logs
Clear All Browser History
Empty all Browser Caches

Now everything runs fantastically smooth except that I can’t open any files in Photoshop. InDesign and Illustrator seem to be working just dandy, though.

If anyone out there can help Lea and I, that would be great. I’ve got a magazine to get to press before long and I don’t want to have to take stuff home to work on it.

Thanks in advance…
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
Sonya read the last sentence in post #1
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
Yes, well the Church may have lost a copy, but someone they know might have one that they could install to see if it was a problem with the Church copy or whether it’s some other system problem.
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
Sonya you missed the last sentence in post #1 again.
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
About help being greatly appreciated?
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
Its really hard to help people who can’t read.

the last sentence in Post #1 reads:

Does it work correctly in a new user?
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2007
but someone they know might have one that they could install

That’s some "church"! They lose expensive software and then resort to using pirated software. :/
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
I’m sorry, I thought post #1 was the question. You don’t need to be so condescending.

When i was in the process of posting my response to the question, I did not see that there was another response. You must have been posting that as I was writing. They are very close in posting time.
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2007
Well, answer the freaking question already!

Does it work correctly if you make a new account on your Mac and you log in as a different user?
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
Hey, dude…the original question is not MY question. it’s Lea’s. And I already posted in my first response to Lea that logging in as a new user was something that I had tried and for ME, it didn’t work. Other people in other forums with similar problems have tried this and it DID work.
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
Sonya if Photoshop does not work in a new user you need to run Disk Utility or Diskwarrior.

If that does not work I would do an Archive and install of the OS.
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks. I will try that. Hopefully I will not have to reinstall the OS…
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
an Archive and Install of the OS should take about 45 minutes including updates.
SB
Sonya_Baughman
Feb 14, 2007
Okay…well, I guess it’s not that horrible, then.
LF
Lea_Fleming
Feb 15, 2007
Hello, Thankyou for your comments guys, still trying to get the program to work because it’ll occasionally work the first time and revert to the same error message…
LF
Lea_Fleming
Feb 15, 2007
Ramón G Castañeda – The new user idea worked the first time I wanted to open the program yet wouldn’t work any other times…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections