EB
Posted By
Emily_Blossom
Jul 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks for this help. I was trying to open anything and all i was getting was the spinning wheel of death. after i restarted 3 times i found this and ejected the CD that was in the drive and it worked fine. amazing thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JP
jacqueline_phillippe
Jul 22, 2008
OH. MY. GOD. I had this problem a month ago and tried EVERYTHING, restart, new prefs, reinstall (from a .dmg, NOT a CD—which is why I didn’t discover it) …and then poof for some unexpected reason, it started working. I now know that I must have ejected the image CD and fixed the problem without knowing why.

Now, randomly a month later, the same thing. AAAgh. Thank God I found your forum (obviously didn’t come up in my search last month). I looked over and saw I had a photo CD in the drive. Hmmmm….could it really be as easy as this?? Ejected the disc, drum roll please, and bam, the image opens instantly.

THANK YOU!!
DZ
Danuta_Zgurzynski
Jul 27, 2008
Does anyone know what to do if all of the above doesn’t work? I did reinstall the photoshop, created a new user on my imac, cleaned preferences and I don’t have a CD in my my DVD drive, but it still crashes every time I open it. Doesn’t allow me to do anything. Any suggestions? Thanks…
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2008
Detail please. Exact versions of the OS and Photoshop? Machine specs? Available hard disk space? RAM? etc.
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
to get the best response it would be best to start a new thread giving all the details that Ramón requested.
DZ
Danuta_Zgurzynski
Jul 28, 2008
Details as per above: Mac OS X 10.5.4, iMac, 2.4GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 2GB 667 DDR2 SD RAM – 2x1GB, 320GB Serial ATA Drive (129 GB free space), SuperDrive 8x DL, Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium-Photoshop CS3. All other applications from the suite work with no problems, just photoshop hangs every time i try to click anything. I have to force quit every time.

Thanks for any suggestions…
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2008
Danuta,

You should really start a new thread, as Buko suggests; otherwise your question will remain buried in an unrelated thread.

Sorry I can’t help. I don’t do Leopard and never will. 🙁
L
Lundberg02
Jul 28, 2008
When all else fails , eject………motto of the 23rd Fighter Wing.

Seriously, I have fixed weird problems by unplugging any and all USB devices, too.
DC
dimitri_ca
Jul 28, 2008
Hello –

I’m running on an brand new Mac PRO Intel 3.2 GHz, itself running under MAC OS X 10.5.3. AND what I read is confirmed… 😛
Can’t open anymore some .PSD file (through network).
NB. I haven’t any external device connected (except a Wacom® Tablet)

1. Is there now a temporary trick to be able to open my file again?
2. Can I avoid this annoying problem?

Thank so far for any trick(s), have a nice day…

– Dimitri
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2008
Update to 10.5.4
WL
Warren_Lambert
Aug 7, 2008
Have this problem with PS CS3 extended. New Win-XP 3GByte 3GHertz Dual Core, on LAN, no external devices except mouse, keyboard, speakers.

Wont open PNG, or JPG files. Shows the file accurately when selecting, but when image would ordinarily appear on screen, nothing happens. Opening with right click in Win doesn’t work either.

Adobe update always crashes, but this is nothing new.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 7, 2008
Warren,

New Win-XP 3GByte 3GHertz Dual Core, on LAN

While your participation is more than welcome here, be aware that this is the Macintosh forum for Photoshop.

Neil
K
kdorman
Sep 25, 2008
Identical issue – P/shop CS3 (OS X) 10.4.11 – launches no problem, but cannot open any file format, application hangs – requires a forced quit. Discovered this thread and, sure enough, I had an optical disc in drive. Ejected disc, launched P/shop and then successfully opened any image.

Background:
===========
I had been working in P/shop when machine locked up, forced hard-reboot. I believe I had been accessing a file on the optical disc prior to hang, which means P/shop was probably still trying to poll that file when re-launched. However, one would tend to think that a complete system reboot would have killed that process!?

Thanks for starting this post – it saved me many hours of frustration.
M
mfrohlich
Oct 5, 2008
I had the same problem. CS3 would open fine, could even see the thumbnails display in the open dialog, but it would freeze up trying to open them. Couldn’t even create a new file.

SOLUTION: Changed my default printer to a non-networked printer and voila, it works perfectly again.

I am running the Master Collection CS3 on a Windows XP system in case you were wondering.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Nov 24, 2008
Wow, glad I finally found this thread. I was going through all kinds of contortions myself trying to get rid of the never ending beach ball of death when trying to open any file… just ejected the dvd in my drive and everything went back to normal… weird. oh well…
SE
Sam_Erickson-Reed
Mar 4, 2009
I just started having this problem in both Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator. I have installed the latest update, made sure there is no CD/DVD in the drive (there never was), set Adobe PDF as the default printer, and reset the preferences. I have restarted the computer, uninstalled/reinstalled the apps, and I still cannot open a file from within Photoshop/Illustrator. The File Open dialog box flashes briefly on screen but the goes away and Photoshop/Illustrator is frozen.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections