BE
Posted By
Bob_Eveleigh
Jul 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My background – Windows PC user for years. Reasonably competent with Photoshop CS3 (Windows).

Just bought new iMac with latest OS (Leopard). I like most of what I see so far but still very much in the learning curve stage. Have bought Mac version of CS3. Main printer is Epson R2400 but also use Canon Pixma iP8500 and both worked fine with PC.

I had a number of files set up in a folder on my Windows PC which involve an image of 7.5" x 5.5" centred (on A4 canvas) and then framed by a thin 1px border of 10" x 8". These are for a particular task I perform and they need to be like that. Copied these on to Mac.

When I print out on A4 photo paper on either printer the whole image incl. the border shifts about 0.25" towards one end – i.e. in portrait mode it shifts up the page. Also, the long sides of the border don’t appear, but the short sides do. I have reduced the size of the border slightly and all 4 sides then appear which indicates that the printers are not printing up to the edge of the paper which of course they are capable of doing. I sometimes need to print right up to the edges of paper.

Responses from suppliers as follows:

Apple helpline – they said contact Canon and Epson and they will send a download for Mac operation. Nothing to do with Apple.

Spoke to Epson, they say maybe a download will work (they told me which one) but they say it’s to do with the CS3 software. Download had no effect. Not spoken to Canon yet but suspect the same will happen.

Apple store – I go into local store for tuition and one of their people uses same gear as me and doesn’t have this problem with it. Suggested uninstalling printers and reinstalling. Tried several times – no joy.

I’m going around in circles here. Solution maybe a blinding flash of the obvious – I hope so.

By the way, in the printer dialogue box that appears as part of the PS printing process I have got "centred" checked.

I realise that Macs will have different screens to PCs but am I missing something here in the Mac print dialogue boxes? My first impression is that there are not as many options there as with PCs but I may be wrong.

Help please!!

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jul 17, 2008
Print driver vary from Mac to Windows…on Mac, by default, many drivers have an offset in the page margin built in. So, even checking centered in the Print dlog of Photoshop will result in an offset. What you need to do is go into Page Setup and make a new paper size and make sure all 4 borders of the margin are the same. With Epson, many printers have a top and sides that are .13 while the bottom is .56. Make all four .56 and you will get centered prints. Newer printers like the 3800 from Epson already have 4 equal margins set to .13. The R2400 doesn’t…
BE
Bob_Eveleigh
Jul 17, 2008
Jeff,

That’s great! Worked first time with both printers. I’d also not realised where the option for borderless printing was and which I’ve now found when following your suggestion and going into the page setup. That of course cures the problem with the frame not showing. Thanks for coming to my rescue.

Bit of a shame that neither Apple nor Epson knew the answers to this but never mind.

Thanks once again.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections