BN
Posted By
Brian_NOVA
Jul 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t print from CS3. When I click on the "Print" menu item, I get the following error:

Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer.

Only problems are (1) I have four printers installed, including Acrobat, and (2) I can still use the "Setup Page" and "Print One Copy" commands.

When I click on the OK button in the error box, I get the following message:

Could not complete the Print command because of a
problem using the Adobe Color Engine.

I am running Photoshop 10.0.1 and Leopard 10.5.4. I am open to ideas on how to fix this.

Brian

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
Lundberg02
Jul 18, 2008
Acrobat is not a printer. Please specify which printers and where you are able to see that they are accessible.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
Brian,

Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer.

Are you sure the drivers for each of those printers has been installed and/or accessed?

[Apple icon] –> System Preferences… –> Print and Fax –> Printing.

Do you see your printers listed? If not, did you click on [+] to add a printer? Did you do a Printer Setup…?

Neil
ML
Martin Ledford
Sep 8, 2008
I, too, am having the same problem. My color laser printer and Epson 3800 print with Aperture and other apps. But now receive error (indicated above) when trying to print with Photoshop CS3. Have re-installed both printers but still receive error.
NN
Nicholas_Nicolaou
Sep 18, 2008
am getting the same problems with the same error messages using leopard, It was ok before and just suddenly comes up with these errors any one resolved this yet ??
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 19, 2008
Nicholas,

It was ok before

Before…what?

Details please. Thanks.

Neil
B
Bobble
Sep 23, 2008
Did you check for driver updates?
PG
Phil_Goble
Sep 29, 2008
One night I printed 10 images to my Epson 3800. Next day after resuming I started getting this error. The only thing different was the update of Windows Defender and a Firefox update the night before. I turned Defender off and tried again. No luck. Did some research without finding a solution. I deactivated CS3, then uninstalled the CS3 and reinstalled it. The problem went away.

Additional info. Windows Vista SP1, Dell XPS 420.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2008
Phil,

You’re welcome to hang out here if you want, but you’ve inadvertently wandered into the Photoshop Macintosh forum. The Windows forum is across the hall.
AI
Adolfo_Isassi
Nov 21, 2008
Did anyone found the solution for this issue?
I am having the same problem: In P:S CS3, I was able to print just fine, this morning, I get this error:

could not complete the print command because of a problem using adobe color engine

I cleared PS cache,
Repair permissions,
Repair Disk,
Repair account

Form a different account, PS can print fine.
I just do not want to re-create another account with all the current settings
S
skipjensen
Dec 16, 2008
I had the same problem occasionally with CS3, and just had it again with CS4. I quit the program and reopened it and could print just fine. A bit of a pain, but a simple workaround until the cause is found.
WA
WJ_Anderson
Dec 22, 2008
Good day all. As noted by others here, I too am getting the same error messages on my account: Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer.

then

Could not complete the Print command because of a problem using the Adobe Color Engine.

After the advise of the tech support at Adobe, I uninstalled then reinstalled PS v11.0 and Acrobat. After the advise at the local Mac store, removed the com.adobe…plists from my library – still get the problem.

Went to my wife’s account and printing works. There is something amiss in my user account buried in the labyrinth. Any ideas – my wife’s Christmas present is awaiting creation!
WA
WJ_Anderson
Dec 23, 2008
OK, so I have (sort of) fixed the problem – at least identified where the problem is. I created a new account and no longer have the error: there is surely something wrong within the ether of my old account.
How did all of this start? The print driver for my Epson R2400 was not behaving in a colour managed way – always had the "Guten" driver, no matter what I did. All images needed to have +14 magenta added to make some sort of colour balance. Removed the drivers, emptied the library of everything Epson and then loaded the new driver from the Australia site. This is where things went bad, and I don’t know how or why. Eventually, I down loaded the 6.12 driver from Europe instead which works – but not with PS. It worked before…
Now, with the European driver (yes, it is different than the North American) and my new identity, all is well, including colour management.
I meant to mention previously that my OS is 10.5.6. When I went from 10.4 to 10.5 all sorts of havoc broke out.

Be well, stay well.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections