NK
Posted By
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If anyone is still looking for a good, inexpensive 13" x 19" inkjet printer, Epson is having another sale on Stylus Photo 1400 refurbs again, for just $210 plus free ground shipping (U.S.A. market). See: <http://tinyurl.com/6pyebv> If interested, I would suggest ordering early.

No, I have no connection with Epson other than I’m a happy owner of a Stylus Photo R2400.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
Aren’t they like 900 years old in computer years?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
If it ain’t broke…

Seriously, the 1400 is current technology. The R2400 is just behind it.

Neil <g>
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Jul 23, 2008
How do they compare in output to the 2200?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Craig.

If you have a 2200, you can compare it with these features: <http://tinyurl.com/6k2ay3>

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 23, 2008
IMO refurbs are great for computers but a bad idea for printers and displays.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Allen,

Over the years, I’ve never experienced a problem with refurbed electronics — particularly if they are back to original specs and with the original factory warranty. The downside? They may have minor cosmetic blemishes.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Allen,

Over the years, I’ve never experienced a problem with refurbed electronics that I could attribute to them being refurbished — and they’re back to original specs and with the original factory warranty. The downside? They may have minor cosmetic blemishes.

And considering the price for this decent printer? Can you spell b-a-r-g-a-i-n ?

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2008
I bought a refurb ACD 23"HD one of the best buys I’ve made works wonderfully.
C
Cindy
Jul 23, 2008
They don’t use archival inks.
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Jul 23, 2008
Cindy,
Thanks. That is a major comparison to the 2200.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Per Epson’s Website for the Epson Stylus Photo 1400:

Photos that last up to 98 years under glass and 200 years in a photo album

How much more "archival" do you want? <g>

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Here are the stats for the 2200:

Up to 108 years Premier ArtΒ™ Matte Scrapbook Photo Paper for Epson Up to 92 years on Epson Watercolor Paper Radiant White
Up to 85 years on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper
Up to 77 years on Epson Premium Semigloss Photo Paper
Up to 76 years on Epson Enhanced Matte Paper
Up to 71 years on Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper
Up to 61 years on Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper

Neil
C
Cindy
Jul 24, 2008
How about when exposed to light? It has to be good enough for framed art.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 24, 2008
Cindy,

I would ask Epson about the 2200. That info is given for the 1400.

Neil
T
trecoolchick
Aug 4, 2008
Has anyone been able to print from photoshop onto a Epson 1400? I’m having problems doing it. I just found this post after I posted my own.

– Kristen
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 5, 2008
Over the years, I’ve never experienced a problem with refurbed electronics that I could attribute to them being refurbished — and they’re back to original specs and with the original factory warranty. The downside? They may have minor cosmetic blemishes. And considering the price for this decent printer? Can you spell b-a-r-g-a-i-n ?

I agree, no problems with refurbished electronics. My issue is with mechanical parts like rollers, feeds, nozzles and the like that physically wear with usage. And most of the life cycle cost of an inkjet printer is consumables anyway so IMO (unlike most non-mechanical electronic devices like computers) refurbished printers are not recommended from a life cycle cost and output quality standpoint.

E.g. imagine that a mechanical roller/feed mechanism typically stays in spec for 20k prints before (inevitable) wear starts to deleteriously affect image quality. Buying that still-in-spec printer refurbished after 19k prints is not IMO a good deal.

Of course, refurbs are often simply vendors dumping excess product, in which case such a refurb is indeed a b-a-r-g-a-i-n.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 5, 2008
Allen,

Refurbished products are rebuilt to factory spec, both electronic and mechanical components. What’s broken or worn is replaced or rebuilt. Closeouts and clearance items are not (in my experience) sold as "refurbs" unless they are. You could (I suppose) sell the former two as "refurbs", but from a marketing standpoint, why would you want to?

Again, as long as it has a warranty comparable to the new product, and it does not appear "used" (except for perhaps some minor cosmetic blemishes), I would not worry about it.

But folks can certainly make up their minds whether or not to take advantage of the Epson offer.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 5, 2008
Closeouts and clearance items are not (in my experience) sold as "refurbs" unless they are.

One of us is missing something. As an Apple user since before Macs I do not recall them specifically marketing closeouts or clearance items. Certainly my impression (I am not privy to internal Apple marketing tactical info) during the last decade has been that refurbished has often been used as a catch-all for Mac clearance of Apple’s marketing channel, and I do not believe that Apple is the only firm that sometimes uses that tactic.

In general, selling new undamaged product as refurbished does several good things. First is that it avoids building consumers into a wait-for-the-sale mentality. Secondly it helps build consumers into considering refurbs as generally good product, without cannibalizing sales to consumers who only buy new (but would happily buy sale/clearance product).
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 5, 2008
Allen,

See this page on today’s Apple site: <http://tinyurl.com/5qcrpr> for their current clearance items. They also have other pages of refurbished items.

As I see it, from a marketing standpoint, Apple can sell discounted current hardware with refurbs, whether these were non-functioning returns, dealer returns, damaged warehouse stock, or just blemished. And at the end of the model cycle, again as I see it, they can sell either refurbs or clearance/sale items without hurting full price sales.

But we digress. Again, my purpose for this topic was merely to point out a great price on a very good refurbished 13"x19" printer. Readers here can read the details on the Epson site and make a decision on whether they want to buy based upon the model features, published reviews, forum feedback, and Epson’s reputation.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Re: Epson Stylus Photo 1400 refurbished printers

There is a further price drop on this very fine printer. How about a current price of $143.20? Please see: <http://tinyurl.com/5uc5s6> for Epson store details. Other models are also on sale for this clearance: <http://tinyurl.com/5ohpsj> including three additional inkjet models.

Neil
L
LarryGR
Aug 20, 2008
The price dropped because a new one costs $199 directly from Epson right now. There’s nothing wrong with refurbished. It’s basically the returns and one doesn’t / can’t return a used printer.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Larry,

It’s basically the returns and one doesn’t / can’t return a used printer.

Not quite true. Whether dealer overstock returns, customer warranty returns, or other reason, these printers may have seen some service. And after you take it out of the packaging and set it up, except for perhaps a very minor cosmetic scuff or two, you cannot tell it from new. And it generally comes with the same "new" warranty (but check to be sure).
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
And considering that this printer sold for closer to $400 at one point…it sounds like a sweet deal for some folks needing a pretty good larger format printer.

Neil
PC
Paul_Cutler
Aug 20, 2008
I bought a refurb R1800. It arrived in a plain brown box not packed very well and missing the roll feeder. I tried it anyway and there was a glitch loading the cartridges. I called customer support, they ran me through 2 drills and determined that the printer was damaged. They took a credit card # from me to make sure I returned it. They sent me out a brand new one within 2 days in the standard packaging. Then I returned the other one.

Epson customer service has been very good to me.

pbc
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Paul,

A couple of years ago, I had a similar experience with Epson. I bought my R2400 originally as a refurb. They debited my credit card and promised shipment. After waiting for about two weeks, I called to check the status. There was a snafu — they were out of stock, with no "new" refurbs to send me. They were very apologetic about the mess, and offered me either a refund or…a brand-spanking new R2400 shipped with two-day service. Plus my choice of four extra refill inks.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections