Channels combine additively, while layers . . . . .

MX
Posted By
michael_x_barrett
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Channels combine additively, while layers combine subtractively (in normal mode). Is this true?

I appreciate that channels and layers have different intents and applications. However as part of trying to understand the differences between channels and layers, I attempted to simulate channels, and their functions, in Photoshop Elements, by using layers. Not sensible, I realize but I’m a curious sort of person. Anyway, for a given image, it is easy to create layers in PSE that look just like the R, G and B channels in PS.

But when trying to combine the R, G and B layers in PSE (using "normal"mode) it clearly doesn’t "work". My tentative conclusion is that channels (in PS) combine additively while layers (in PSE) combine subtractively.

Am I right or just confused? Any words or links to educate me or clarify my thinking will be appreciated.

mbarrett

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Dec 7, 2006
Set your layers to screen mode.

Your background should be black
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 7, 2006
I’d address Elements questions to the Elements forum. But I know there is add-on software (or something) you can get to simulate Channels, Curves and CMYK in Elements.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 8, 2006
No, normal mode is not subtractive in any way.
Normal mode is a simple linear interpolation.

And channels combine additively or subtractive in the channel mixer (otherwise you only combine them as RGB, CMYK, or LAB and they’re always orthoginal values).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections