Can I "Lock" Photoshop CS3 and Bridge Together ?

IB
Posted By
Ian_Brown
Jul 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I like to have Photoshop and Bridge open together.

However, every time I click on the Bridge interface, either accidentally or to reposition it etc. Photoshop vanishes and I have to bring it back.

Whilst it is not a terrible malfunction it is irritating and it never occurred with the Browser in Photoshop Elements 2.

Is it possible to lock them together so that PS will never disappear ?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Jul 26, 2008
What about switching between the apps with Command + Tab?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 26, 2008
In Elements the Browser is built in so its a part of a single application. Photoshop and Bridge are two different applications so you’re running into a ‘that’s just the way it works’ issue. It isn’t actually a malfunction.

You have to get used to switching applications to go between the two. Phos has the simplest answer if you use keyboard shortcuts.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 26, 2008
Thanks to both of you for the answer I half expected but didn’t want!

I will just have to resign myself to fiddling with the mouse or keyboard every time I accidentally click on Bridge or the desktop.

Anyway, at least I now know that I have not got any preferences set incorrectly.

Thanks again.

Ian.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 26, 2008
Ian,

I have a Mighty Mouse, and I’ve set it up so that all open applications are instantly available for the choosing by clicking on the mouse ball (and then clicking on the large front-and-center app icon of choice). No hunting for the right window to click on and no going to the Dock to find the right app icon.

It does the same thing as Phos’ Command + Tab.

Neil
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 26, 2008
Thanks Neil, I will give all the suggestions a try though it’s not a problem getting PS back …….. it’s just disconcerting when it suddenly disappears.

Ian.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 26, 2008
Ian,

It sounds like you’re new to Mac. It’s a way that Macs allow you to switch applications — by clicking on their windows. If you have a full-screen sized window open in the background, then, yes, Photoshop (or any other open foreground application window) will be hidden if you click on that large window.

Neil
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 26, 2008
I suppose I am comparatively new to Macs as I have only had 3 in the last 7 years.

I realise that Bridge is a separate app but really it is integral to much of Photoshop’s working.

If I click on PS it doesn’t make Bridge disappear!

I have been using CS3 for over a year now and this still irritates me.
B
Buko
Jul 26, 2008
Bridge not only works with Photoshop but all the other apps in the suite. So to have it linked to photoshop would be a PITA.
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Jul 26, 2008
Adobe has already very conveniently linked Bridge and Photoshop together for you, in several ways other than window clicking and other than what OS X provides.

On the File menu in Photoshop, there’s a "Browse" command that goes to Bridge. In Bridge, there’s a "Return to Adobe Photoshop" command. That sounds odd but here’s the thing: They use the same keyboard shortcut, Command+Option+O. So if you learn that one single shortcut, you can flip between Bridge and Photoshop instantly. I use Command+Tab a lot too, but that can be a pain if you have a lot of apps open. Command+Option+O is a direct express route between Photoshop and Bridge.

If you prefer mouse clicks, when you’re in Photoshop you can get to Bridge by clicking the Go To Bridge button in the options bar at the top of the screen. From Bridge to Photoshop, of course you just double-click the file you want to open in Photoshop.

Bridge also has File > Close and Go To Bridge (Command+Shift+W), which is great if you finished editing a file and want to get to the next file in the folder. Just hit Command+Option+W, Photoshop closes the file and pops you back to Bridge, you hit the arrow key to get to the next file, hit Return and boom you’re back in Photoshop with that file.

The links are all there, you just have to use them.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 26, 2008
I use the cmd alt o shortcut ……… I just object to having things disappear on me.

Thanks to everyone.

No more please.

I can’t lock them so that is that.

I will just have to accept things the way they are and waste my life clicking the PS icon in the Dock now and again.

I must waste up to ten seconds a day ……………… now how long has this thread taken ………..?
B
Buko
Jul 26, 2008
I just object to having things disappear on me.

Well that is a Mac OS thing. And its just the panels that disappear, this is a good thing as I don’t need to see 4 or 5 applications worth of Panels all jumbled up on top of each other. That really would be annoying.

Keep in mind Elements is a $99 app made for the amateur, Photoshop is a professional app designed to work in conjunction with several other professional level design applications. Personally I like the way everything works.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections