Posted By
anna_byun
Sep 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is a new problem for me:

When I go to crop an image with the crop tool, and drag it across the image… The crop appears to have selected the right image size, but the palette says the cropped area is only 1px x 1px. When I hit return/enter to accept the crop, my new canvas size is only 1px x 1px.

Any idea how to fix this bug? I’m using Photoshop 8.0.

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 9, 2008
First of all, don’t use the word ‘bug.’ When we find out the reason for the behavior you name then we can assign a category. Usually, problems like this are ‘user error’, but like I said, let’s wait until we get the problem resolved. What Mac are you using, specs including how much RAM, and what input devices?
P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2008
Let me ask this: What palette says it’s 1 x 1 pixel? The Options Bar? You can change that you know. Hit the Clear button.

If that doesn’t work consider trashing/resetting Preferences.

If this was a bug in PS 8 it would have been discovered long long ago. I have never seen or heard of it.
AB
anna_byun
Sep 9, 2008
Trashing the preferences fixed it, thanks!
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 9, 2008
I’ve experienced a 1×1 pixel (or similar undersize) crop a couple of times in CS3. Restarting with resetting the preferences makes everything good again.

Neil
JP
jean_p
Sep 9, 2008
all you need to do is clear the entries in the crop options bar. It’s no big deal. certainly you don’t need to restart or reset preferences.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks, Jean.

Actually, I meant relaunching Photoshop. I’ll have to check the entries in the crop options bar though! — I forgot I could reset just the tool from there. <g>

Neil
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2008
I could reset just the tool from there

You can either reset the tool, or you can type in reasonable values other than 1×1. 🙂
AB
anna_byun
Sep 10, 2008
I thought I’d replied but I don’t see it posted… Deleting my preferences fixed the problem for me. Thanks, all!
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2008
Anna,

Every time you log in to the forum, you are only shown the last two posts in a thread, just so threads become manageable to read. If you want to see more (older) posts you had read earlier click on "Show All Messages".
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 10, 2008
You can either reset the tool, or you can type in reasonable values other than 1×1.

Depends. If the tool just wants to create 1×1 crops, resetting does the trick. <g>

Neil
P
progress
Sep 12, 2008
Its a bug.

It’s caused by having a number in the text field and then hitting delete to delete it…then hitting return to get rid of the blinking cursor… PS says "ooh, i need a value" and sticks 0 in, and then PS says " ooh, you can’t crop to 0, try 1 instead" and gives you an error message.

hitting tab works though, and allows you to leave the text field free.

Either it will be fixed in CS4 and something else basic will be bugged, or it will still be bugged. I expect my .ai extensions on exported paths to keep randomly falling off as well, i mean why not? They have done for the entire CS series to date.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 12, 2008
If all you have to worry about is your measurement in penials, you may want to prioritize your ruler.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections