Posted By
Shirley_Uriarte
Sep 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone!

I just bought the Adobe suite and installed it a couple months ago. I have used Photoshop several times since and had no problems with it. Then earlier this month every time I click on "open file" or "control o", it just crashes! So I have no idea why keeps doing that and I have no idea how I can fix it. At first I thought maybe it was the file I was trying to open. But the thing is, I don’t even get as far selecting which file I want to open. It crashes the minute I click on "open file" or "control o". What can I do? Is this a bug in the program or a virus? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

— Shi

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Sep 27, 2008
control o

Sounds like you’re on a Windoze box. :/

You have inadvertently wandered into the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum. The Windows forum, where you will get better responses, is across the hall, although you’re welcome to hang out here, of course.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 27, 2008
Sorry — double post!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 27, 2008
Shirley:

You possibly have installed an Epson Scanner?

If you are using a Mac, it sounds like the TWAIN-plug-in problem: <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc3e346>

or it could be this one:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05fd79>

Do spend some time reading through the other FAQs while you are about it — there’s a ton of useful stuff there!
SU
Shirley_Uriarte
Sep 27, 2008
Sorry, I mean Command O. I am so frustrated that it keeps crashing.
SU
Shirley_Uriarte
Sep 27, 2008
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it! =)

I have not installed any scanners or printers. And I don’t have any CDs or DVDs in the computer to eject. So I have no idea what to do.
SU
Shirley_Uriarte
Sep 27, 2008
Oh, I am in the right forum. I meant Command O. I have a mac. ^_~
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 27, 2008
Shirley,

One of the things that can hang Photoshop is duplicate or damaged fonts. You should check for that; easiest if you have a font manager like Font Agent Pro.

Also, did you try resetting Photoshop’s preferences (Relaunch app, simultaneously holding down Command+Option+Shift until a small message box appears with a Yes/No choice).

What happens if you log in as a new user and try to launch Photoshop?

Neil
B
Buko
Sep 28, 2008
More info on your setup would be helpful.
SU
Shirley_Uriarte
Oct 1, 2008
Hi there everyone,

Thanks for everyone’s replies so far. Neil — I have tried your method of resetting the preferences with the command option and shift. A box never popped up.

But nevertheless, I was able to open files through Open File again. This is just so weird.

— Shi
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 1, 2008
Shirley,

Resetting preferences has to be done simultaneously with PS launch. And the key combination is held down until the box appears.

Neil
SU
Shirley_Uriarte
Oct 1, 2008
Hi Neil,

Ok! I got it! The box is up asking me if I want to delete the file. If I select Yes to delete it, what will happen?
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2008
It will trash your prefs, which is what you want.
FJ
Fiorino Jared
Oct 4, 2008
I am having a really frustrating problem. Every time I adjust my brush size using the touch strip on the WACOM 12WX Cintiq, or by using the slider on the brushes panel via the WACOM pen, Photoshop decides to "unexpectedly quit" and I send an error report EVERY time. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you figured out how to fix it? PLEASE help!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections