AT
Posted By
A.Translator
Apr 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen monitors discussed on this forum, so even though strictly speaking this is not a PE matter, I venture a question.

I treated myself to a brandnew eizo flatscreen monitor (FlexScan L557). It comes with a manual of sorts, but I don’t get it set up right: text and images seem too smooth, slightly blurred.

I experimented with the smooth settings and Clear Type, but can’t get it as sharp as I would like.

I use Windows XP Pro and checked the monitor in Device Manager. It is mentioned only as ‘plug and play monitor’ . My second monitor ( I have a dual set up) is mentioned by name, so I wondered if I perhaps should have any drivers installed. There does not seem to be a driver on the CD Rom that came with the monitor. A search for drivers on the Web yielded the same ‘Screen Manager’ software that is on the CD.

I know nothing about monitors (as is obvious!) and wonder:

– should I have installed a driver?
– when the system is starting up a small window with "analogue" pops up briefly. What does this mean? And should it read analogue in stead of digital?
– I read about usb-connections, but my monitor is connected through the well known thick cable ending in a blue connector.

Anyone else, perhaps with an eizo, who understands things better and can enlighten me? Thanks!

Groet, Adriana.
[throw rubbish out if you want to reach me by e-mail]

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 30, 2004
Adriana, also post the kind of video card you have in your computer. I’m really dumb about this stuff, too, but when you say "analogue" comes up, I get suspicious. Knowing what the computer is capable of handling might help someone else figure this out. I only know enough to be dangerous! 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 30, 2004
Adriana,
The ICC profile for your monitor is at <http://www.eizo.com/downloads/icc/index.asp> . You should use it to calibrate the monitor for color management .
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>
I notice that the native resolution is 1280 x 1024 and that Desktop resolution should be the sharpest you’ll see on that display.

Hope this helps.

🙂

Brent
AT
A.Translator
Apr 30, 2004
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:11:46 -0700, wrote:

also post the kind of video card you have in your computer. I’m really dumb about this stuff, too, but when you say "analogue" comes up, I get suspicious.

The video card for this screen is a 64MB DDR NVDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with TV Out (Dell) – as copied from Device Manager.

Does that mean anything?

Glad to know I am not the only one baffled by these matters, Beth!

Just read Brent’s comment: I don’t think I have the native resolution set, so I’ll start off with that. How does one know the native res anyway? (for color management I have to wait till help comes, for I am slightly color blind myself – I do a lot of B&W work!)

Thank you both!

Groet, Adriana.
AT
A.Translator
Apr 30, 2004
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:38:21 -0700, wrote:

I notice that the native resolution is 1280 x 1024 and that Desktop resolution should be the sharpest you’ll see on that display.

Indeed! Just changed it. 1280 x 1024 is it’s top, so to speak. I had it on the trusted 1024 X 768 because otherwise the text becomes too small for me to read, even with 120 dpi.

Perhaps I just have to get used to it…

Groet, Adriana.
BB
brent_bertram
May 1, 2004
My understanding is that LCD’s are definitely at their best ONLY at their native resolution. Getting used to it ( Large Fonts, Maybe ? ) is probably your best bet ( but it’s pretty tiny, I know ) . I wouldn’t want to tax my old eyes on it ! <G>

🙂

Brent
AT
A.Translator
May 1, 2004
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:06:52 -0700, wrote:

I wouldn’t want to tax my old eyes on it

My old eyes will just have to get used to it!
I daren’t set my font size too big, for most of what I do is for the web, and I am sure I’ll forget to check my sites with ‘normal’ font size (there is too much to check – browsers, screen sizes etc – as it is). Could you tell me where you find this information about it’s native resolution?

Groet, Adriana.
BB
brent_bertram
May 1, 2004
Adriana,
Product page at Eizo, <http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l557/index.asp> .

A little bit about LCD monitors , <http://www.procon.com.au/Monitors.htm> . And this quote from another site after googling,

"Resolution scaling – Because LCD panels have a fixed number of discrete pixels, they’re really only designed to display a single resolution—the screen’s native resolution. LCDs can’t display resolutions above their native resolution, and can only display lower resolutions through interpolation, which stretches smaller display resolutions to fit an LCD’s native resolution. Except in rare cases where a screen is stretching a resolution that’s exactly half its native resolution (800×600 for a native 1600×1200 display, for example), interpolation is pretty ugly. Generally, scaling completely ruins the image clarity advantage LCDs usually enjoy. "

🙂

Brent
AT
A.Translator
May 1, 2004
On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:20:01 -0700, wrote:

I feel pretty dumb…
Thank you!

Groet, Adriana.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections