MR
Posted By
Mark_Reibman
May 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been noticing a lot of servers down, unable to get into web sites. The bigger sites like this, Yahoo, etc are accessible. There is a new virus that must be affecting the servers. Anyone else noticing this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mark_Reibman
May 3, 2004
Just found this.

The virus affects computers operating Microsoft Windows 2000 (news – web sites), Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (news – web sites), but not Windows 95, Windows 98 (news – web sites), Windows Me, or Windows NT, according to Symantec.

Nor are computers using the Macintosh (news – web sites), Linux (news – web sites) or UNIX systems affected, said the company.

Mac,

I don’t understand your question.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 3, 2004
Just for curiosity, what are two or three?

Mac
SR
Schraven_Robert
May 3, 2004
There was something on the news about a new virus that shuts down your computer but is not a worm. Indeed from systems 2000 and upwards. I heard it only once mentioned.

My provider was down in the afternoon. That makes at least 4. 🙂

Robert
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 3, 2004
The new Sasser, Sasser.B and Sasser.C worms (Symantec/Norton classifies them as worms) is really nasty. Any time you connect to the Internet it causes Windows to shut down your PC thereby making it impossible to get any help to get rid of it unless you have access to a protected XP or 2000 machine or any 98 PC or a MAC. At least, in my case, there were no symptoms when not connected. Symantec’s removal tool is only about 150 k so you can transfer via floppy but the virus signature file to block new infections is 4.8 megs so at the least you need a cd burner on the other pc. (You can use the removal tool even if you don’t have Norton.)

I got it, as I mentioned in another thread, because I had not had time to apply Windows Update KB835732 after getting back from vacation and Norton didn’t have protection until May 1st. The updated Norton blocked 3 attacks while I was downloading the Windows updates I had missed.

I would strongly recommend that everyone with Windows above 98 check to be sure that update 835732 is in place. Here’s Microsoft’s Bulletin:

< http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011. mspx>

The variants are coming out daily so Symantec is releasing Live Updates almost every day instead of the normal once a week. There is one dated May 3rd available now.

Bob
SG
Syble_Glasscock
May 3, 2004
I rec’d this message from my server: It is extremely important you read this message and take immediate action if you are using Windows NT, 2000, 2003 or XP.

In addition to a computer worm referred to as Gaobot or Agobot, that is currently infecting computers across the Internet, there is now another computer worm, known as Sasser, that is spreading across the Internet, exploiting the same apparent security vulnerability in these Microsoft Windows operating systems.
In response, we strongly urge you to immediately take the following security measures:
1) Use a personal software or hardware firewall to protect your computers from network worms and intruders.
2) Download and install all available critical patches for your Windows operating system from the Microsoft web site: <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
3) Use up-to-date anti-virus software to detect and remove Gaobot and Sasser or other computer worms and viruses.
Syble

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections