Posted By
DYP
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What the hell is Adobe thinking?

The bug that causes double profiling in LR2 has been introduced into PSCS4. Where PSCS3 defaulted to No Correction in the driver, PSCS4 default to Colorsync just like LR2.

Here is a thread on the LR2 issue.
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?7@@.59b601c4/0>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jeff_Huehn
Oct 20, 2008
I talked to Adobe about this last week and they, of course, blamed the Canon/Apple driver (even though the same Canon/Apple driver worked correctly with CS3 and works correctly with other programs). There are a couple of semi-workarounds (use the Canon plug-in or select "Printer Manages Colors" in the Photoshop Print Dialog Box and then select the profile in the Canon/Apple driver) but the bottom line is Adobe needs to fix the dang thing and make it work like it is supposed to!

It boggled my mind that the Color Management savvy folks at Adobe didn’t catch this major bug before CS4 shipped and it’s even more mind-boggling to find out that people had already reported the same problem with Lightroom and it still didn’t get fixed.

I’m running OS X 10.5.5 on a quad 2.66Ghz MacPro with a Canon iPF5000 and iPF8100 and I went back to CS3 until Adobe gets the CS4 printing fixed.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
Color Management savvy folks

I wonder?
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
You guys know that 10.5.5 broke printing in Leopard don’t you?
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
This has nothing to do with 10.5.5.
DB
Dave_B
Oct 21, 2008
Buko-please provide info on the "break" in 10.5.5 printing (site, white paper).
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
go read about it in the ID forum.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
And the last service pack fixed the 10.5.5 issue with ID.

So what is the "break" in 10.5.5 that causes problems with PS?
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
well if it broke printing with one app it wouldn’t surprize me that it will break printing in something else.

Thats why some of us have avoided 10.5.x like the plague.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
So are you saying that the LR2 and now PSCS4 bug does not exist in 10.4.x?

So then why does this bug not exist in LR1.4.1 or PSCS3 on 10.5.5?

Or are you just an Adobe fanboy and unwilling to place the blames where it lies?
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
I always print from ID and I have no problems in Tiger
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 21, 2008
I find printing in 10.5.5 horribly inaccurate at times. I put the blame on Apple, not Adobe. Illustrator always prints 2 pages even if there’s only one sent, Acrobat can’t print two-up letter pages as a single 11×17 signature, printer settings miraculously change at times, color settings also change on their own at times…. and all this with many apps, not just Adobe apps. 10.5.5 is hosed for printing.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
Again I ask, does this default to colorsync bug in PSCS4 exist in Tiger?
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
where I just looked and don’t see color sync.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
I may have to boot back into 10.4.11 and check this out. I am not sure I ever installed LR2 into 10.4.11 and I know I have not installed PSCS4 into it.

But anyway I know LR1.3 had this problem in Tiger where one could not select No Correction or CM off etc.
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
I don’t have LightRoom
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
Also my 2200 driver is F_cked up in Leopard another reason to avoid it.

no color Management.
JH
Jeff_Huehn
Oct 21, 2008
This is not a 10.5.5 problem. I have no trouble with printing from any other application and PSCS3 works perfectly under 10.5.5. With CS3, when you select "No Color Management" or "Photoshop Manages Colors" in the Photoshop Dialog box, the Canon/Apple driver is forced to "No Color Management" which is exactly what it should do. Now with PSCS4 the same selections in the Photoshop Dialog box force the Canon/Apple driver to "Colorsync" so that the Colorsync utility is controlling the translation from document color space to printer profile instead of Photoshop (or more accurately, on top of Photoshop). Worse yet, there is no way to turn Colorsync off so you can print an untagged RGB file to create a printer/paper profile. DYP, you are right on and I hope Adobe will look into this.
D
DYP
Oct 21, 2008
Jeff

I totally agree. I have no problems printing with 10.5.5 other than this screw up with defaulting to ColorSync. Until I boot up and install LR2 and PSCS4 into 10.4.11 I do not know if I will have the same issue. But I bet I will because this is the same issue we had with LR 1.3.

Why could this issue be fixed in LR 1.4.1 and then turn around and screw it up in LR 2 and then even more strange after this issue is know, go and release PSCS4 with exactly the same problem.

Smacks of total incompetence. Lucky I am not their boss or heads would be rolling.
JH
Jeff_Huehn
Oct 22, 2008
I just finished booting up with OS X 10.4.11 and installing CS4 and the print dialog box works fine so I’ll recant my earlier statement somewhat. It’s not only a 10.5.5 problem (CS3 works) but the combination of CS4 and 10.5.5 is definitely broken. 10.4.11 actually works better for both CS3 and CS4 in that it doesn’t force anything in the Canon/Apple print dialog, it gives you the choice of No Color Managment, ColorSync, ICC correction, or Driver Correction. 10.5.5 with CS3 doesn’t give you a choice but it forces No Color Management in the Canon/Apple dialog box which, as I said before, is what you want if you don’t get a choice. The problem with CS4 and 10.5.5 is that it forces the Canon/Apple dialog box to Colorsync with all of the problems I described. If I could go back to 10.4.11 for now I probably would until Adobe/Apple/Canon get this straightened out but I have other software/hardware that requires 10.5 so I guess I’m stuck with CS3 for a while.
D
DYP
Oct 22, 2008
Not sure what Canon printer you have. But I have the iPF9000 which has a plugin for printing from PS and it works fine with PSCS4/10.5.5 so not being able to print through the driver is not a major problem for me.

But not everyone will have that choice.
B
Buko
Oct 22, 2008
It’s not only a 10.5.5 problem (CS3 works) but the combination of CS4 and 10.5.5 is definitely broken. 10.4.11 actually works better for both CS3 and CS4 in that it doesn’t force anything in the Canon/Apple print dialog, it gives you the choice of No Color Managment, ColorSync, ICC correction, or Driver Correction. 10.5.5 with CS3 doesn’t give you a choice but it forces No Color Management in the Canon/Apple dialog box which, as I said before, is what you want if you don’t get a choice.

This is something that I’ve been saying all along Leopard is broken.

That’s why I’ve stayed with Tiger. Apple F_cked up big time and they won’t fix it.
D
DYP
Oct 22, 2008
I would at least like to have a explanation of why LR 1.4.1 and PSCS3 both print fine in 10.5.5 and why LR2.1 and PSCS4 are screwed up 10.5.5?
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
LR 2.1?

Neil
D
DYP
Oct 22, 2008
I guess I should have said LR2.1 RC1.
D
DYP
Oct 25, 2008
Understand the released version LR2.1 still has this bug.
GF
G_Fulton
Nov 1, 2008
This is an incredibly vexing problem and appears in LR2, LR2.1, and now introduced into PS CS4 which offers some delightful new options.

The above posts attest to the trouble but in no way suggest that Adobe/Apple are now, or have been, looking into the matter. Is there a fix coming? And wonder of wonders… why in would they have chosen to interfere with the basic process of avoiding double profiling. DYP has (in another forum) suggested a workaround… but I’m unable to follow it to a decent or usable print.

In their default to Colorsync, and inability to change the default, I don’t find a way to use my custom profiles in my customary way.

For me, this is a calamity!

If someone has a solution that will enable continuing the use of these versions, please do let me in on it…. for which I thank you!

Gib
D
DYP
Nov 1, 2008
Gib

Do a search for "ColorSync Utility" on the LR forum. We covered that (the workaround) quite extensively when we discovered these issues with LR1.3.1. Here is the best I believe, but it has been a while since this was discussed.

Claude Biron, "Lightroom printing problems" #1, 24 Jan 2008 4:36 pm </webx?14/0>

As for a fix coming there is reported to be some printing fixes in 10.5.6 but we heard the same thing for 10.5.5. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections