R
Posted By
rogertb
Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This relates a little to another post, I’ve just read that I can’t upgrade from an in-suite version of Photoshop to a stand-alone version, this really is rubbish, not only are Adobe screwing non US users but they’re tying everyone in to ridiculously expensive upgrades every couple of years, this must, surely, just encourage people to get pirate software, this is bad. Roger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Roger,

Unfortunately, you’re not addressing Adobe here. We are all just users like you and can’t do anything about the issue. 🙁
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
they’re tying everyone in to ridiculously expensive upgrades every couple of years,

That’s why they give buyers of the suite a very substantial break over buying the individual applications separately.

It was known from day one.
R
rogertb
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks Ramon – good of you to take the time, so I guess my option is to use an old Photoshop 7 to upgrade to a stand alone CS4 version of Photoshop and sell my copy of CS2 Premium and wipe all of the other software off my machine … sorry about the rant … I’m in a spiky mood this morning, struggling to do some work in Photoshop on a Leopard machine to earn enough money to pay for an upgrade that I don’t really want …. Roger
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Roger,

Photoshop 7 does not qualify for any upgrade –as of five days ago.

With CS3 Adobe instituted a 3-version upgrade path only. The day CS4 was released, Photoshop 7 became ineligible. You need at least Photoshop 8 (CS).
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Of course, you can’t just go out and buy an older version that has been used by you or anybody else to upgrade to asuite or to an individual license. Activation will fail.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Oct 21, 2008
To be clear, when you upgraded from a single point product license (perhaps Photoshop) to the Creative Suite, you gave up your Photoshop license in exchange for a heavily discounted Creative Suite–which was a very good deal. So, in effect you surrendered your Photoshop rights for a Creative Suite set of rights…while this was spelled out and generally discussed at the time that the whole Creative Suite came into play, many people did not understand this, took the really good deal and then were surprised (and often pissed off) when they found out they couldn’t upgrade just a single point product.
B
Buko
Oct 22, 2008
I’ve just read that I can’t upgrade from an in-suite version of Photoshop to a stand-alone version, this really is rubbish, not only are Adobe screwing non US users but they’re tying everyone in to ridiculously expensive upgrades every couple of years, this must, surely, just encourage people to get pirate softwar

Roger, you are an idiot. What Jeff said.

Sorry if feel offended but if you really used Photoshop you would know this.
R
rogertb
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks Jeff and Buko, Adobe still sell a stand alone version of photoshop, why can’t I go backwards ? I now, because of a change in work style, don’t need everything in the suite – just Photoshop, and as I have now got Leopard I want a more current version of Photoshop (CS3 would do), and none of the other stuff, I guess I’ll sell my CS2 on ebay and buy a stand alone version. Thanks for your time …. best regards from the idiot – Roger
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 22, 2008
Roger:

I’d stick with the suite, if you can. It might be the perfect excuse to explore ways you can put it to use. Be creative! If you can get one job (a year) in the door because of the suite, you’re good to go.

J
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
ridiculously expensive upgrades every couple of years, this must, surely, just encourage people to get pirate softwar

Just a note here…one of the reasons why software costs what it does IS piracy; so software developers can cover their losses to piracy. And then it becomes a vicious cycle.

Neil
P
PeterK.
Oct 22, 2008
"Losses to piracy" was never much of an argument in my opinion. There’s no physical product that is lost when someone is copying. It’s not like "losses due to theft," where a thief who steals a chocolate bar from a store has actually deprived the store of a sale. People who copy software were never going to pay for it, and it doesn’t stop other people from buying the software, so there is no loss. I don’t think the number of people who switch from copying to buying due to things like copy protection is a very large number at all.
P
PeterK.
Oct 22, 2008
Can anyone explain why there shouldn’t be an upgrade path from suite to a standalone app? (other than corporate greed)
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 22, 2008
Can anyone explain why there shouldn’t be an upgrade path from suite to a standalone app?

The AMAZING deal you got on the suite. You now have Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Fireworks/Indesign. Look at what you paid for all of that.. then look at what it would cost today to acquire all that software. You got the deal because you agreed to give up the stand alone license.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
Peter,

There’s no physical product that is lost when someone is copying.

Specious argument! It’s theft of intellectual property. It denies the owner of the property owner the ability to profit from a sale.

Say you create a highly marketable photo that goes into calendars, datebooks, magazine covers, etc. And you get paid for each licensed use. Then some pirate comes along, does a high-quality scan of your image and hands it out or sells it as if it is his. And…

….Good grief! Why am I even arguing this!

Neil
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Oct 22, 2008
I bet he sees no harm in stealing music off the internet either.
P
PeterK.
Oct 22, 2008
It’s theft of intellectual property. It denies the owner of the property owner the ability to profit from a sale.

Again, what sale? It wouldn’t have been paid for in any case. You’re changing your argument now, because copyright infringement or theft of intellectual property are different from "losses to piracy," which was your original claim. The two are not dependent on each other.
P
PeterK.
Oct 22, 2008
The AMAZING deal you got on the suite. You now have Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Fireworks/Indesign. Look at what you paid for all of that.. then look at what it would cost today to acquire all that software. You got the deal because you agreed to give up the stand alone license.

That doesn’t answer the question. You think that because the user got a deal at some point in the past, they should no longer have the ability to pick and choose what they need? Why shouldn’t a user be able to pay the upgrade price to get a new serial number for Photoshop alone? (again, unless the reason is because the corporation doesn’t like the idea of giving the user a good deal in the first place and then having their "locked into the suite" scheme taken away)
R
RSK
Oct 22, 2008
To be clear, when you upgraded from a single point product license (perhaps Photoshop) to the Creative Suite, you gave up your Photoshop license in exchange for a heavily discounted Creative Suite–which was a very good deal. So, in effect you surrendered your Photoshop rights for a Creative Suite set of rights

Does this apply to all upgrades? For example, if I use my CS2 to upgrade to CS3 Extended, am I prevented from using CS2 to upgrade to CS4 standard?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 22, 2008
RSK,

Only 1 upgrade per license is permitted.

Peter,
You miss the point. You got the deal for the Creative Suite because you agreed you would give up the stand alone license. Now, you want to go back on that agreement, reap the rewards of it, and then complain when Adobe wants you to adhere to what you agreed upon.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
Peter,

Your argument, re: theft of intellectual property makes no legal sense. In court, you lose.

Neil
P
PeterK.
Oct 22, 2008
You got the deal for the Creative Suite because you agreed you would give up the stand alone license.

My company buys the software, so I don’t really mind. But the original poster is evidence that not everyone "agreed" to it. Buyer beware I guess, but I still haven’t had my question answered:

Why shouldn’t a user be allowed to pay an upgrade price so that they can get a new serial number for just the app he/she wants?

I’ll dare to answer that, since nobody else seems to want to… because it would be far too generous for the corporation to offer a deal on the suite (and increase their user base for other apps that they didn’t have before!) and then also offer the flexibility of upgrading as the user wishes. They knew they’d be getting their money back on the back end, when people are forced to upgrade (as they often are in the prepress industry), so they really weren’t being as all warm and cuddly as they first seemed.
Back when CS was first introduced, threads had to be started in the user forums informing people of the "lock-in" and the general tone of the threads was that nobody realized this was the case, until someone read the fine print and posted what they discovered. Also at that time, it was mentioned that there would inevitably be people who got caught in the deal without knowing what they were getting into. That’s why we have this thread.

In short, I was never a fan of the CS marketing scheme, or things that turn out to be more hindrances to the user than to pirates like activation schemes.
R
RSK
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks, Scott. I thought that was the correct answer, but just wanted to make sure.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
Peter,

No one forced your hand when the Suites came out. If (after doing your due diligence) you realized you didn’t like the terms of the upgrade from app –> Suite, you could always just buy the components you wanted, and not be married to the Suite and Suite upgrade agreements.

Again, your argument is flawed.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 22, 2008
Peter do you actually legally own a license to any software?

You know it doesn’t sound like you do! and your just here to enjoy yourself.

If I were the other guys I would not pay attention to you and the only reason I am chiming in is to let the guys here know that you are talking to someone who is not really committed to the view point he is expressing.

Just playing with you and of course he claim the opposite and fight it tooth and nail but doesn’t really care because he is not interested in what you have to say.

And for all you know he is a pirate.

His postings definitely are suspect.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, I know…

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 23, 2008
Wade,

Earlier, I was willing to give Peter benefit of the doubt. As for the legality of any software on his machine, from my side of the monitor, it appears a bit shaky.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 23, 2008
It is not quite right,there is no doubt.

Spare yourself your a good guy and don’t waste your time on this one.

Instead have a really great day tomorrow. And dream good things.
P
PeterK.
Oct 23, 2008
So because I argued that pirates wouldn’t have bought software and therefore don’t fall into the equation of a corporations bottom line, that makes me a pirate? I was just stating the obvious. You guys are the ones of poor character to go making accusations like that.

And Neil, you keep saying my argument is flawed (it isn’t), and STILL nobody’s given me their opinion on why a user shouldn’t be able to pay an upgrade price for one app after buying the suite… anyone?

Fill in the blanks… a user shouldn’t be able to pay an upgrade price to get a new serial number for one app from the suite because ______________.
P
PeterK.
Oct 23, 2008
Spare yourself your a good guy

Such a great guy to go accusing a long-time consumer of the software (and years-long contributor to the forums that he moderates) of piracy. Take a long look at yourselves. Just because I’m comfortable criticizing faults in the software and company that I love, doesn’t mean apologists such as yourselves have the right to make accusations in order to defend their stupid mistakes.
R
rogertb
Oct 23, 2008
Nice to see such a lively debate, forgive me if I stirred something, it wasn’t my intention. I do tend to agree with PeterK, it was a point I made earlier, I would happily forego the suite for the one programme I use these days but it doesn’t seem possible. I could rattle on some more but will resist …. Have good weekends one and all Roger
R
Ram
Oct 24, 2008
How many times do PeterK. and Roger need to hear it?

Because you received the benefit of a huge discount when you bought the suite and agreed to be bound to upgrading just the entire suite, so you forfeited your right to upgrade single applications in exchange for the discount. Geeze…

I would never do business with either of those two guys. Their commitments and their word aren’t worth anything apparently.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections