Posted By
Josh_Lucchesi
Oct 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi –
I didn’t know where to post this question so I apologize if I’m off topic.

My company just upgraded my Mac G5 to CS3 Design Premium which is fine except that, in the past, I had been able to take work home to my CS suite equipped Mac.

I’m concerned about compatibility issues between work-files and home-files. Everyone I know with CS works on a home rig and an office rig. Does Adobe take this into account? Should my company have bought 2 CS3 DP Suites or can I install the same Suite/license on 2 computers?

I hope someone on this forum can provide a definitive answer, but I would be happy with a referral to the correct source for the information.

Thanks.
JL

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
Josh,

With CS4 out, why did your boss just upgrade to CS3? If purchased within the past few weeks, your boss should speak with Adobe customer service and see if he’s entitled to a free CS4 upgrade.

This is my understanding: If the upgrade is registered to your Company, you cannot copy and take it off-premises, as it is, well, not your property to take. It would be theft of intellectual property or piracy (even if your boss says, "It’s OK"). But, if the software registration were solely in your name as license holder, it becomes yours (not your Company’s), you could install and use it non-simultaneously at home and office. Best bet? Ask the boss to kick in for another CS4 (not CS3) for your use at home. Or transfer ownership of the license to your name. But that means the software is then legally yours, and not your Company’s.

But, with your old CS at home, any files you create or work on at home will work flawlessly on your office system. But, CS3 or CS4 files will work fine at home on CS if features that were developed and implemented between CS and the newer software is not used in the files you’re working on.

Neil
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 22, 2008
I think it’s "primary user," Neil, and not "license holder". My reading of the EULA (and I am so not a lawyer) says the OP can install CS3 at home.

They don’t define "primary user" or "license holder" (but they do define "computer"). 🙂

J
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
J,

Interesting…it gets a definite "maybe" from me. To me, it just leaves the door open to anyone claiming to be the primary user on anyone else’s system.

Then again, I’ve always been the one to buy install and use my own software; not any company I worked for.

Any other thought on this, folks?

Neil
B
Buko
Oct 22, 2008
I agree with J
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 22, 2008
Particularly in light of 2.5 (volume licensing clause), where they specifically say if the license was bought in bulk, you can do nothing but work from the second computer (no funny stuff). How many volume buyers own a laptop or have a home, I wonder?
JL
Josh_Lucchesi
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks all for the input.

"says the OP can install CS3 at home"
….what is "OP"?

This software was purchased when CS3 was new. I don’t know why it was not installed right away…politics I’m betting. Anyway – we’ll look into the upgrade to CS4.
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 22, 2008
Original post/poster. YOU.
JL
Josh_Lucchesi
Oct 22, 2008
J – Now I’m really in trouble – I don’t know myself – even when in upper case letters 😉

Thanks,
Jl
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 23, 2008
Wear a name tag.

Neil <g>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections