S
Posted By
Siriunson
Oct 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yup – this one again! I’m on OSX 10.5.5 & have got move focus to the window drawer disabled in system prefs.

The Cmd + Alt + tilde that worked in cs3 to load a luminance selection doesn’t seem to be working in cs4. I’ve tried adding in shift but still no luck.

Help please.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
In CS4;

Cmd Option 2 will select Luminance in the Composite Channel;

Cmd Option 3, 4, 5 or 6 will select Luminance in other Channels.
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 27, 2008
Ann, I don’t have CS4 yet. What happened to cmd-opt-` (tilde). Is it now used for something else? And the purpose of the change best you can tell? (Not that I’m complaining, just curious.)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
One of the problems with the cmd-opt-` (tilde) shortcut was that it didn’t work with foreign language keyboards.

In CS4, Cmd Option Tilde is "reserved for the OS".

You will actually like the change once you get used to it because you can use those shortcuts to select luminosity on any Channel of your choice.

Add the Shift key to add the selection from an additional Channel.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 28, 2008
To avoid confusion, the accent ` is an accent grave; a tilde is ~

So, can you clarify which we’re talking about?

Thanks!

Neil
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 28, 2008
Jeez, Neil, Ann and I know what we’re talking about… 🙂

It’s command-option-~ (tilde). There’s nothing grave about that. Kind of lighthearted actually. As for accents, this is an all-text forum, my friend. No inflections or speech sounds in evidence. 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 28, 2008
Doug,

Jeez, Neil, Ann and I know what we’re talking about…

Maybe. But the rest of us just want to make sure we can read through the topic without cheat sheets. <g>

Neil
R
Ram
Oct 28, 2008
To get a tilde you need to press the shift key, which is not involved here. So the desired key combination is Command Option `, spoken Command Option grave accent.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 28, 2008
To get a tilde you need to press the shift key,

… and not just blindly copy/paste Doug’s postings!

[Which I did because I am a lousy/lazy typist!]

8/
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 28, 2008
No, you copy/pasted Doug’s postings because you like, trust and admire Doug’s postings, isn’t that right Ann?

And Ramón, I don’t know why we have to focus in such a grim and dire way on that happy little, left leaning accent. It’s more liberal than grave, don’t you think? 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 28, 2008
Doug:

Of course that’s the reason

🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 28, 2008

[…just shaking my head in mild amusement over where we’ve wandered…] <g>

Neil
NT
Nini Tj
Oct 28, 2008
If you have a non-English keyboard it is something entirely different to get a tilde… Do not press what Ramón suggests as that acivates some universal access zoom feature which could make anybody sea-sick…
I
icurate
Oct 28, 2008
Also, one of the many optional plugins for CS4 is one to ‘use old shortcuts’. Which allows almost all keyboard shortcuts to revert to what they were for CS3.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 28, 2008
I haven’t tested that plug-in (because I just thought it would make more sense to plug the new shortcuts into my brain) .

However I am not sure that ALL of the old CS3 shortcuts are still available via that plug-in anyway.

Can you confirm whether or not the old Tilde shortcut will work in CS4 if people install the ‘use old shortcuts’ plug-in?
I
icurate
Oct 28, 2008
"Can you confirm whether or not the old Tilde shortcut will work in CS4 if people install the ‘use old shortcuts’ plug-in?"

Ann, yes, it does on a Mac and on the forums one of the Adobe people promised it would be available for Windows as well.

I also said "almost all" because there is one other shortcut that someone confirmed was not reconfigured by the plug-in.

I just finished playing around with this particular shortcut and I’m curious if it works correctly in the release version. I’m still using the last beta version and when I hit cmd+opt+2 or cmd+opt+4 I get the same exact selection which seems to be the green channel in RGB mode.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 28, 2008
In the shipped version of CS4, if you hit cmd+opt+2 (or cmd+opt+3, 4, or 5) you do get just the channel that you targeted.
R
Ram
Oct 29, 2008
Nini,

Do not press what Ramón suggests

I wasn’t suggesting pressing anything, I was simply clarifying the wrong terminology in some preceding posts.

If anything, I’m a diehard keyboard shortcut hater. If anything can be done via menus or mouse clicks, I much prefer not to clutter my brain with memorizing a gazillion shortcuts that only last for a version or two.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections