EM
Posted By
Eric_Matthes
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone, I’ve been away from this forum for a while but I remember how wonderful and helpful people are. I have a student who is working on a coloring book of historical buildings. She wants to create a thin black border around the image, which is part of the canvas. I remember reading a fairly simple process for creating borders. Can someone point me to a thread or refresh my memory on the steps?
Thank you!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
May 20, 2004
Eric,

One way is:

* have black showing as the foreground color in the Toolbox * Select>All on image layer
* Can create a new blank layer in Layers Palette to put the border on (or can skip this step) * Edit>Stroke (set it to "inside" and an appropriate thickness in pixels)
NS
Nancy_S
May 20, 2004
Eric,

Or:

* get the rectangular marquee from the toolbox
* drag out to size of desired frame (best to do on new layer) * edit>stroke etc as before

note: a)can move selection box after drawn with cursor inside box and dragging b) whatever the foreground color is, the frame will be
EM
Eric_Matthes
May 21, 2004
Nancy,
Thank you! We appreciate your help.
Eric
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 21, 2004
Eric,

Another way is:

Set the background colour to black then do Image>Resize>Canvas Size … increase the Canvas size (to the size you want) and click on OK and you will then have a back border around your image.

Wendy
SS
Steven_Salzman
May 22, 2004
When I try to print a 4×6 photo even borderless, there is always a white border on the sides of the photo. How do I resize without losing resolution to fit the phot paper whether it be 4×6 5×7 6×8 or 8×10????
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 22, 2004
You resize without interpolation by using Image Size dialog, with Resample set to OFF. Whether you have enough original pixels for any size print you want depends.

The borderless thing depends on your printer model and what size paper you are using, generally. Most of the "borderless" printers will only print to edge of paper using certain sizes/brands of paper.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections