AJ
Posted By
Alan_J_Kirby
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, not actually – I’m simply not prepared to re-install XP (which was a clean install in any case).

Elements 2.0 simply won’t start without the "Unable to continue due to a hardware of system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable", followed by a memory reference error by the application.

Photoshop Elements 2.0,
XP Pro with SP1 and latest hotfixes,
Intel 2.8 GHz,
1 GB DRAM,
Konica PagePro 1350w,
HP Deskjet 932c

I’ve tried the ctrl-alt-shift fix, renamed font files, defragmented (can’t see why that would help anyway), cleaned the registry, reinstalled the application…

This is quite frustrating – I must say this does not want to make me upgrade to Photoshop…

Anyone have any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 29, 2004
Alan,

Anyone have any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, let’s go for some more things :

Update any drivers, and especially video card.

Disconnect all non essential stuff. This includes Wacom tablet (if you have one), USB devices (except, of course, mouse and keyboard), FireWire camcorder and webcams.

Does your computer sometimes access a network printer, or network volume (shared drive, firewire external disk, those kind of things)? If so, for the sake of this test, unmount everything, remove shared printer.

Let’s see if this solve your problems.

Ray
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 30, 2004
Ray,

With so much else on your mind here you are still giving great help and advice. Is it any wonder that your forum friends care?

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 30, 2004
Well, as silly as this may sound, it’s actually quite relaxing being here. I mean, once I concentrate on reading the notes, answering a few mails, posting here and there, I don’t feel the stress. And, I can say that for sure, I have stomach burns when I stress too much. And you see, I was able to have a coffee just a few hours ago, on an empty stomach! Usually, I do this and have to chew Thumbs (or Rollaids) minutes after the cup is empty 🙂

Ray
….who’s signing off!
GS
Grant_Spangler
Jul 23, 2004
I am experiencing the same problem. Machine:
Pentium IV 3.0 GHz, 1024 MB RAM, 200GB + 200GB Hard Drives, DVDRW, CDRW, Clean install of Windows XP Pro SP1, with all patches. Less than 1% fragmentation on hard drives. Mine seems to get to where it’s checking for memory then stops dead with the ‘program error’ message. Uninstalled, CLEANED REGISTRY, removed all references in ‘C:\Documents and Settings’ Removed all references in ‘C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe’. Removed all references in ‘C:\Windows’. Removed the Photoshop Elements file folder after uninstall. Reinstalled in safe mode. Reinstalled with only one hard drive hooked up. Installed a PostScript printer. Changed to allow Windows management of swap files. Unhooked all USB, serial and parallel devices. Now, get this: Photoshop CS works FLAWLESSLY on this machine. What’s up, Adobe?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections