Posted By
BettyBBB
Nov 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yesterday I installed CS4 on my Macbook first gen with OSX 10.5.5

I have a jpg that when opened in Photoshop can not be saved. When I Save As as either a jpg or psd I get the following error:

"Could not complete your request because of a program error"

Opening an existing psd file, creating a new psd file, or even opening other jpgs I am able to save with errors.

It almost seems like there is something about this one jpg which Photoshop doesn’t like.

Anyone else experience this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NT
Nini Tj
Nov 21, 2008
Only that jpg or every jpg?
JA
James_A_Collins
Nov 26, 2008
I’m getting the same error on Windows XP. Could not save "filename" because of a program error.

Its a jpg on a network drive.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 26, 2008
James,

That .jpg may be corrupted — particularly if you’ve been working/saving remotely on that file. Drag-copy to your local drive; work locally; save locally; drag-copy back to the server.

Neil
G
Gregpl
Jan 28, 2009
I installed CS4 and I open any file and in a matter of 2 to 5 minutes its comes up with the errror message "Cannot complete your request because of a program error". I don’t even have to do anything and it comes up. I have to force quit the program and I’m basically crippled at this point! Anyone know what fixes this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
Gregpl,

Can you tell us something about your system so we can provide better assistance? See: How To Get Help Quickly. </webx?50>

In addition: What operating system on which computer? What maintenance have you done? How did you install CS4? Have you checked for damaged or duplicate fonts? How much RAM and free disk space do you have? Have you tried logging in as a new user?

Please get back to us.

Thanks.

Neil
G
Gregpl
Jan 28, 2009
Hello Neil,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I noticed that it always consistently happened whenever I started to do something with a font, any font. So I went into the font book and noticed that there are several sets of fonts and they are all turned on. So to do a test, I turned them all to disabled and launched PS. It has not crashed since I did that. So I think I need to delete the duplicated fonts or just select a font when I’m using it. Does this sound consistent with anything you have found?

The computer is a Mac G5 with 2 gigs of RAM

233.64 GB Disk Space Capacity & 64 availblbe Disk Space.

Operating System is 10.5.1 using a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 Mac.

Thank you for your assistance. I will be trying out the system tomorrow because I have to get some work done… this has set me back a few days not to mention the tremendous frustration.

Thank you. Let me know your comments. I hope this helps anyone else that is also having this similar problem.

Greg
R
Ram
Jan 28, 2009
Greg,

Ouch! It’s not surprising that you have problems with your setup.

* First of all, you’re using a very buggy, obsolete version of the OS. Update to 10.5.6 ASAP. It’s a free upgrade.

* You desperately need more RAM. Trying to run Leopard and CS4 on a paltry 2 GB of RAM is ludicrous. Max that machine out with RAM.

* Ideally, your Photoshop scratch disk should be on a physically separate internal hard drive. My scratch disk is on a dedicated 160 GB internal drive, others have larger scratch drives. To have both the OS swap files and Photoshop’s scratch disk competing for the use of the single set of read/write heads on your boot volume is asking for trouble.

* With only 64 GB of available space on a 233 GB drive, you’ll be reaching the safety limits for any drive pretty soon. Any time any drive gets to be 80% full, you’re in trouble. You’re almost there taking into account the swap files and the scratch disk.

* Finally, get a real font manager. Apple’s Font Book is not robust enough. Duplicated fonts are as bad as damaged fonts. FAP (FontAgent Pro) is pretty good at ferreting out bad fonts, and they have a fully functional 30-day trial version.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
Greg,

Ramón makes some good points about your system. But certainly if specific font activation can be associated with system problems, either duplicate or corrupted fonts should be suspected. FontAgent Pro is far superior to Apple’s Font Book. If budget is an issue, then look at the inexpensive FontExplorer, developed by Linotype. Trial downloads are available for either. (Be sure to only use one font management tool at a time, and disable any others to avoid further conflicts.)

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 28, 2009
Re #7:

To have both the OS swap files and Photoshop’s scratch disk competing for the use of the single set of read/write heads on your boot volume is asking for trouble.

Just to clarify, I’d expand that to read:

To have both the OS swap files and Photoshop’s scratch disk competing for the use of the single set of read/write heads for only 64 GB of disk space on your boot volume is asking for trouble.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections