NM
Posted By
Nancy_Medlin
Dec 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am getting this message when I try to save my document in Photoshop CS2. It has happened twice today – a file I’ve been working on and saving all of a sudden won’t save b/c of this "program error".

I tried saving in different formats (TIFF, JPG, PSD), renaming the file and saving to different locations.

The first time it happened I quit Photoshop without saving, rebooted my computer (PowerBook G4) and opened the file back up and WAS able to save. Now it’s happening again and I don’t want to close the program and lose all the work I’ve done on the file.

Does anyone know what’s causing this error? Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 8, 2006
How full are your HDs — and do you have your Scratch space on a separate one from your boot drive?

I would try running Cocktail and DiskWarrior.
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
Can you save in a new user?
RN
Rich_Niewiroski_Jr.
Jan 10, 2007
I’m having this same problem also now.
R
Ram
Jan 10, 2007
Same questions apply to you too.
BK
Bob_Kerr
Jan 13, 2007
Had this problem but saved OK when I saved file (Save as) to an external firewire HD instead of my main HD. Quit and restarted Photoshop, copied file back to main HD. All OK again.
B
beckiscott
Jan 17, 2007
just had the same issue, using an intel imac. saving to my external hdd solved the problem. Now to avoid it in future do i need to look at getting more ram (as ps is running through rosetta) … currently on 1 gig, or are there some settings i need to change?! thanks
BK
Bob_Kerr
Jan 17, 2007
I don’t think it’s a RAM issue. I have 4.5 gig on my G5. It’s as if PS forgets where the internal HDD is. Or maybe something to do with scratch disks.
MJ
Michael_J_Harvey
Jan 17, 2007
Happens all the time on my G5 tower. 2 Gigs of RAM and 63 Gigs of drive space available. I have to save to an alternate drive or server volume. Only happens when I try and save to the local main drive.
A
atariboy
Feb 3, 2007
Happens to me often also. CS2 and CS3. Plenty of ram and HD space. Like Michael, saving to a different volume allows me to save. Pain in the butt though.

Any other fixes?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 3, 2007
Do the people who are having this problem, have their Photoshop Scratch on a different internal HD from their Boot Drive?

(You really need to set Photoshop up that way if you can.)
A
atariboy
Feb 4, 2007
No. I use a Laptop. Is a diferent partition any better?

But really, we shouldn’t have to do that to not get this error.
R
Ram
Feb 4, 2007
A partition gives you no advantage whatsoever. The one set of read/write heads will still be shared by the OS and Photoshop.
TG
The_Green_Hornet
Feb 4, 2007
Here is the problem & I have it also.

When you work on an image that is kept on a external FW drive and the drive goes to sleep, then you try to save the image you are working on, it fails to wake the drive and you see PS go through the process of saving only to end with the program error dialog.
If you hit the HD first by opening a finder window and selecting something on the drive the image is on also so that a preview is drawn, waking that drive, you can now save the image without getting the program error.

This did not happen in X.4.7 and I am now running .8
This looks to be a OS issue.
This happens in cs2 & cs3 beta.
Yell at apple!

Yes my start up is on a seperate drive not being used for ps scratch!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 4, 2007
Hornet:

I suggest that you might have more luck if you copied the CLOSED file from your FWD to your HD before working on it; and then copied the completed, Saved and closed file back again.

I would also set the Computer to "Never Sleep"; and make sure that both your computer and your FWD are run through an "Uninterruptible Power Supply".
TG
The_Green_Hornet
Feb 4, 2007
Yes I know, but I have way to many very large images to do that on a regular basis.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 4, 2007
But can you afford to have a single one of your images corrupted and permanently damaged?

Because that is what you are risking.

B(

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections