Why Adobe has to screw up most of the things with every new version?

Z
Posted By
zlam
Nov 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As a first, I hate docking!

I know there is the option to un-check docking of images in preferences and to open multiple images to freely float, but no matter how many times I un-check these options, whenever I open multiple images, they are docked and have to be taken out.

As a second, for years cropping tool down- or up-sampled images allowing rotation. In CS4, sampling works, but rotation reverts to original image. Didn’t find any comment about in forum.

Any help with both will be greatly appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 22, 2008
I will give you the best advice I can to help you out get use to docking and learn to love it. Honestly! get use to it and you will see it has advantages and you easily tile the doc tabbed docs.
Z
zlam
Nov 22, 2008
Thanks Wade, but working the same way for ages … it’s hard to accept unwanted changes no matter how good they might be.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 22, 2008
It’s a perfectly simple choice: either you can upgrade and adapt; or you can just continue to use your old versions and forego all of the advances and stability of CS4.

And if you don’t like Docking, use the new Configurator.

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/11/configurator_is_live.ht ml>

This is a wonderful new tool, and would be especially useful for those who don’t do everything by keyboard short-cuts.

I am very much hoping that we shall soon be seeing versions of Configurator for InDesign and Illustrator.
Z
zlam
Nov 22, 2008
Thanks Ann. Maybe I should really stop upgrading. Lot of saved money.

Re: Configurator, it’s prerelease version. Do you think one can trust prerelease software?

What about cropping question? Any idea?
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2008
I’ve never had any trouble with prerelease versions from Adobe. They’re pretty well tested, they just insist on the beta label to cover their behinds as per advice of counsel…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 22, 2008
Configurator is still a "Work in progress" but the downloadable version is solid.

You build a panel to your own specifications; save it and then access it in Photoshop from Windows menu/Extensions/
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 22, 2008
ziam configurator will do you know good with older versions of PS and the ability to customize a program so that you only have what you need will eventually build for a better application and you will not have to wander through menu Items and panels that have information you have no use for at all.

but keep in mind this is a new way of working like with tabs and the application frame.

When the Bridge is part of the frame and the frame can contain docs from multiple apps and you can drag an drop form the bridge to any opened document window from the bridge. Then life will be much better, well it will be working at least exactly the way I have always wanted things to work.

This is a long time feature request of mine and if Adobe continues on their course with this it ill be better then I had hope it to be and you will definitely learn to love it.

As for your question about the cropping the issue has come up in the recent past and I think you have to look at either the control panel when the crop tool is elected or or the crop tool presets. I believe it still works the same way.

Yes before cropping in the control panel select front image then enter the new resolution and you want it will stick.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 22, 2008
"whenever I open multiple images, they are docked and have to be taken out" – this a deely frustrating default. Same as in CS2, the most limiting, and uncreative of the screen modes is forced as the default.

Newly opened windows should open in either the last chosen space and screen mode, or it should be possible to set the default as a preference.

Like most people I nearly always need to work my images as individuals , where I have the maximum freedom and can scroll past the edge boundaries. So there are several steps to get there and its extremely annoying and unecessary.
P
PShock
Nov 23, 2008
zlam –

I think something is amiss with your install. I turned off docking in preferences and it stays that way. (initial view is application frame) Also, on my system, resampled crops with applied rotation crops the image just as it should.

Try trashing PS preferences.

So there are several steps to get there and its extremely annoying and unecessary.

While I agree there should be a way to retain a desired screen mode, it takes less than a second to punch the F key twice. What I miss is the ability to have different screen modes for different images (aka – CS2)

-phil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 23, 2008
Like most people I nearly always need to work my images as individuals , where I have the maximum freedom and can scroll past the edge boundaries.

Now you don’t know this at all this what you want to believe, keep in mind there are a lot of Windows computers out there and a lot of them have photoshop there are relative little Macs out there though a great deal of them have Photoshop I bet the windows version out numbers the Mac Version by quite a margin. Which would mean you are mistaken about how people work. Iwork with a lot of photographs. I don’t work with the files in windows unless they are tabbed and the new version of Photoshop is only out a short time.

Even in the old days you needed to see several photographs at one time, often you had to compare hundreds at a time, the method that you have gotten use to is exactly that an accident caused by the limitation of the software, it is chaotic and out of date and was never a good way to go about things. Good way to make mistakes lose your work and even trash a final version of a file before making a copy and safely burning to a disk.

In other words as I see it you are not believable. Just my opinion or if you wish you should talk for yourself.

BTW there is a reason why Lightroom is so popular with photographers it allows you to work with many images side by side.

And before you start with the retouching thing i can tell you I do very complex retouching and I seldom work with one file and often have to three four five or more images opened at the same time and it was a nightmare to try and work with all these floating windows.

I don’t who in their right mind would even want that chaos, the Frame and tabs are a joy to work with no more looking for a hidden window. Than goodness.

Just want you to now there are people that disagree with you.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2008
Now that Bridge is fast and stable it provides excellent ways of reviewing, comparing and rating multiple Image files.

Review Mode (Cmd/Ctrl + B ) on a decent sized screen is really sexy!

It even has the loupe!
R
Ram
Nov 23, 2008
bet the windows version out numbers the Mac Version by quite a margin.

Not really. The various figures I’ve seen published have it 60% to 40% either way, suggesting it’s just about even.
R
Ram
Nov 23, 2008
Review Mode (Cmd/Ctrl + B )

Eye candy with no real purpose, as far as I’m concerned.

It even has the loupe!

For which, mercifully, there’s a preference to prevent opening it accidentally just by clicking.

Now that Bridge is fast and stable

Fast yes; stable only relatively.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 24, 2008
Fast … AND totally stable here!
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 24, 2008
Eye candy

I have to admit I don’t use it but was very taken by the demonstration in the tutorial video!

The loupe is fine if you have a decent machine with a good video card. Handy for a quick check on sharpness without opening the file.
R
Ram
Nov 24, 2008
The loupe is a darned annoyance for those of us who have an irrepressible tendency to click on the preview pane accidentally, perhaps following our gut instinct that such an action will open the image in ACR or in Photoshop.

Mercifully, Adobe has added a preference in CS4 so that the loupe appears only when Command Clicking. A most welcome addition.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 24, 2008
"Handy for a quick check on sharpness without opening the file" oh so THATS what the loupe is for! wasn’t sure, thought it might be eye candy.

"I bet the windows version out numbers the Mac Version by quite a margin" – there’s certainly are a lot more illegal users on windows out there than mac. My theory is that there’s too many people with web design and general windows backgrounds skewing the decision making process at the moment at Adobe.

I still think that most people want to edit a single image as a priority, and want a workspace that makes this easiest as the default – ie full screen with menu bar, this mode also completely eliminates the problem of accidentally clicking the desktop which is the objection that most windows people have. Sure you need to have other windows open too (smart objects, drag and drop, color palette documents), but I don’t need my screen real estate filling up with unnecessary CS4 style baggage just for this.

All this confusing the whole issue with tabs and application frame is fine as an option, for some kinds of work its a move forward and certainly has its uses, but its completely illogical to force these kind of things as the default.
B
Buko
Nov 24, 2008
but they are not default.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 24, 2008
If you want to get rid of screen-clutter, check out Configurataor.

I have built a Configurator panel which can collapse into the bottom edge of my Monitor.

The panel contains buttons for each paleete and for a number of frequently used filters and commands for which i don’t have keyboard shortcuts.

Having installed your Configurator Panel; open each palette in turn from the Window menu; make it free floating; and position it where you want it to appear on the Monitor when summoned in the future.

Then summon — and dismiss — all palettes from your Configurator Panel as required.

No more Panel Docking, just the palettes that you need open at any time — and no more clutter!

Configurator is pure genius — now please would Adobe build versions for illustrator and InDesign.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 24, 2008
Well you changed your tune Ann, I seem to remember main criticisms of proposed ‘flash panels’ coming from you.

So you reckon EVERYTHING in CS4 is flawless then? Could this possibly be related to the fact that you were involved in the Beta process on this one, or not?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 24, 2008
Well you changed your tune Ann, I seem to remember main criticisms of proposed ‘flash panels’ coming from you.

You remember correctly! But they got it right in CS4 — particularly because they have made the GUI so flexible and User-configurable.

Do I "reckon EVERYTHING in CS4 is flawless then"?

There are still a few things that could be enhanced (such as greater user-programmability in the Bridge Output panel) but all in all Photoshop CS4 is proving to be the best, and most stable, version that I have ever used — and I have been using Photoshop since v.2.1.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections