D
Posted By
domihode
Nov 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on an image that’s 850mb flat, but with all the layers it’s now 9.25GB. And this is after I split it up into two files, background and foreground. There’s about 150 layers with layermasks in the foreground file alone and I need all the layers there. It was 6.8 gb yesterday, but today I opened it was 8GB without me doing anything. Also, I tried to crop it, not cropping the image smaller, but cropping to same size to get rid of all the excess information that stretch beyond the clipboard that I can’t see. This increased the image size another GB and took an hour to process. Why would file-size get larger when I crop? I realize that without seeing the file it’s hard to give advice on how to make the file-size smaller, but just trying to figure out if there’s something else I can try to reduce the file size except for the obvious (deleting layers, channels, etc.) It’s getting painfully slow.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 26, 2008
If cropping took that long, you had a target resolution in the crop tool and it resampled your image. Most of the time cropping is near instantaneous.
D
domihode
Nov 26, 2008
No I didn’t. I checked that. and also made sure cropped area was checked to be deleted rather than hidden. cropping is only instantaneous on small files.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 26, 2008
The "deleting" part made it take the time, and possibly made it larger in memory — because you modified each layer and possibly broke relationships between duplicated layers.
D
domihode
Nov 26, 2008
I realized also I moved the composition over, just a little bit, causing all the adjustment layers to add a white strip on the left. the adjustment layers are all black except for the piece they’re masking, but when moving them over I added a white strip on left. Is there a way of adding black instead of white when I move the masks around so that I don’t add information?
B
Buko
Nov 26, 2008
Make sure your background color is black.
D
domihode
Nov 28, 2008
that only helps if you’re moving one layermask at a time. not when you’re moving a chunk of layers at once. then it adds white on all the layermaks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections