KW
Posted By
Ken_W.
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am scanning a bunch of 4×6 photos into PSE2 at 600 dpi. I want them like this so I can archive them and then do whatever I want in the future, since the photos were leant to me. So anyway, I find that after the scan is complete, it take a long time the import into Photoshop to finish. The progress bar moves very slowly. I’m talking minutes here, maybe even 5 for each one. I’m not sure what the problem is here, but here are the specs:

Power Mac G4 867 / 896 MB RAM / not much running
Agfa SnapScan e20 (USB) with ScanWise X for OS X
Photoshop Elements 2

This is not a slow computer for anything else. Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
600ppi at 4×6 size?
Or 600ppi at a larger output size?

In other words, what is the actual image size in inches at 600ppi of the scanned image.

Just thinking that you might be generating whopper file sizes? And that scanner is only USB 1.0 I believe?, so would take awhile to process and transmit info?

Just initial thoughts to look at?

M
KW
Ken_W.
Jun 11, 2004
No, 600 at the larger output size, around 2880×2020 pixels at about 16 or 17 megs each. Still small enough that it shouldn’t take much time over USB 1.1.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
Agree…
Something else is up, but don’t know what…

M
E
E._Gary_Heaton
Jun 11, 2004
You didn’t mention how big your hard drive is, or how much free space you have on it? With less than 10-15% of free space on the drive, (especially if you have not defragged it in a while,) Your computer will run a bit slower because it is searching for empty sectors to fill up. And at USB 1.0 speed, it would not be that unusual if you are getting short on disk space for it to slow it down to that rate.
Just something else to check is all.
Good luck to you.
Gary~*
KW
Ken_W.
Jun 12, 2004
Good point on free disk space. It’s a 60-gig drive. I was in fact a little under 10% free, so I just freed up some space, and now have almost 9 gigs free. No change, though. Still really slow.
E
E._Gary_Heaton
Jun 14, 2004
The only other thing that comes to mind right off would be to ask you if you have DMA enabled on the drive’s controller?
You can check the channels by Right clicking MY COMPUTER, then properties, then hardware, then click on the hardware device manager.
Scroll down until you find the controllers, click on that, and then click on the primary, and secondary ones, and click the advanced settings on each of them,. Then check and see if they are set at “DMA if available”, or “PIO only”. If it is set to PIO only, hit the drop down, and set it for DMA if available, and reboot the computer.
If you have a pretty quick system, and DMA is not enabled, OR if your running the hard drive on a 40 wire cable, instead of a 80 wire one, with the controllers set at DMA 66, 100, or 133 that will slow your transfer speeds by quite a bit really. (The 40 wire cables are only good up to ATA 33 speeds, over that you really need to go to 80 wire cables.) It is a simple fix, just change the 40 wire cable to an 80 wire. Any computer shop has them for a couple of bucks, even Walmart in this area sells them now. (Or if your like me, you probably have 5 or 20 stuffed in different drawers around the house.<LAUGH>) You can see the diff if you look at the actual WIRES on the ribbon cable its self. The ends will both have 40 pins in them, but the newer cables will have twice as many wires in them. So they are easy enough to see.
You MAY have to set the DMA values up in your BIOS as well, or instead of, depending on your system and the mother board it has in it. The above directions are for XP however, and they “should” give you a reading on the settings anyway. Worth a look see at least.<smile>
Good luck to you,
Gary~*

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections