SS
Posted By
steven_shmerler
Dec 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
SFW (CS3) isn’t functioning correctly, or perhaps I’m missing a pref or configuration.

When I go to SFW, the image in the SFW window no matter what setting or level (even 100%) and resulting file is lighter, as in washed out, from it’s PSD parent.

Even viewing the Original from within SFW is not the at the original levels. It’s washed out.

As a test, if I do a Save As from the same PSD parent to a JPEG at 12, the file is the same level quality as it’s PSD parent as expected/desired.

As such, SFW is unusable for me.

CS3, Mac Pro Quade Core 2x3GHz, OSX 10.5.5

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 10, 2008
What you may be missing is that you need to CONVERT to sRGB for the Web — either before using SFW or by checking the "Convert to sRGB" box inside the SFW dialog.
PF
Peter_Figen
Dec 10, 2008
You basically are experiencing a profile mismatch. This has been discussed in several threads running hundreds of messages long, if not more.

To get you sorted out:

What color space is your file in?
How have you calibrated your monitor and what gamma is you screen? What application(s) are showing the file being lighter?

Hint – this has nothing to do with jpeg but everything to do with profiles.
SS
steven_shmerler
Dec 10, 2008
Thanks Ann. Here’s what I have:

In Edit > Color Settings:

Working Spaces: RGB sRGB IEC…
Color Mgmt Polices: Convert to Working RGB

Convert to Profile:
Source Space Profile: sRGB IEC..

Conversion Options:
Engine: Adobe ACE
Intent: Perceptual
Use Black Point Compensation (√)
Use Dither (√)

In SFW: Convert to sRGB is selected

I’m looking at a head shot 72 dpi and the woman’s face is lighter using these settings from within SFW looking at what SFW calls "Original" versus the real original outside of SFW.

Saving a SFW jpg at 100% yields a lighter image than doing a Save As jpg at 12.

I have both a HP LP3065 30" and Apple 22" Cinema display and the SFW processed file is lighter on both screens. Although the SFW Original is lighter on the HP than when looking at same on the Cinema. But the output is lighter and consistent viewing on both displays. Lighter than should be.

The Cinema is set to Apple’s stock "Apple Cinema Display" profile and HP doesn’t support us with a Mac calibrator, but I did the best I could with Apple’s – in Prefs > Display.

Regardless, it seems that SFW is the problem (in my logical but limited color mgmt knowledge). I can save as a Save As jpg and get the expected color level consistent with the original on both my HP and Cinema. Isn’t this the deciding factor? The consistency across both. Wouldn’t that point to SFW being the problem, since Save As works correctly?

And Peter, I totally agree with you, we need to search first. I did on "Save For Web Color Shifting" but didn’t find it. I found other SFW issues, but somehow not my issue. Still, my apologies.

Thanks to both.
B
Buko
Dec 10, 2008
You would be better served to preserve the embedded profile and convert after the file has been opened if that is what you intend to do.
SS
steven_shmerler
Dec 11, 2008
Hi Buko, Could you explain more on this and how to do it. I’m still confused why after using PS for so many years "out of the box" that now SFW’s "original" doesn’t display correctly. I’m looking at an image, press CMD + Option + Shift + S and see a lighter version, which upon saving that image creates the lighter image faithfully. I’m having to blindly create darker images and then SFW. Obviously not how PS is supposed to work. Totally confused. Thanks for any help.

Steven
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2008
Steven,

It sounds like you’re selecting "Monitor Profile" instead of "Document Profile" in the SFW dialog box.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections