PG
Posted By
Phil_Goff
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I import pictures from my digital camera and save them as PSD or JPEG files, they do not retain the date the picture was taken. I understand that JPEG2000 format retains the metadata for a picture taken from a digital camera. Is this plug-in available for Elements 2.0 or is there another way to retain the date the picture was taken after editing in Photoshop Elements?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 26, 2004
I’m not sure what information you are referring to that is not being saved. On the pictures that I download from my digital camera all of the Exif information that I’m aware of is there and is visible in the file browser. There is a JPEG2000 plug-in available from somewhere. Sorry, I downloaded it several months ago and don’t remember where I got it from. I have not used it at all because the JPEG2000 format is not very widely recognized or accepted. Whenever I work on an image I save the edited version as a new separate file so the original images that were downloaded from my camera are always available. And those original images always seem to have the information that I need.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 26, 2004
To down load the JPEG2000 plug-in go to > File > Online Services and follow the bouncing ball.

Grant
PG
Phil_Goff
Jun 26, 2004
To Jim Hess & Grant Dixon,

Thanks for your help. What I would like to do is import digital pictures from my camera directly into Photoshop Elements and save the pictures in a format that retains info on date picture taken. I find that I can use Windows Explorer to copy the pics from my camera to a folder and it will retain info on date picture was taken. But once I open the picture in Photoshop Elements I cannot save the files with date picture taken info. Any thoughts about how to edit and save files that retain information on the date picture was taken?

I thought Jpeg2000 would solve this issue. I tried to download it from the online services menu as you suggested, but I continue to get an error message that "an unexpected error occurred while communicating with online services, please try again."
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 26, 2004
Phil

The jpeg2000 add-in should be available I suspect it is just that the server is down.

If you are saving a jpg in Elements it will save the EXIF data for you. It will change the fields for software to Adobe and the Date of last saved but will not change the camera information so you will still have the Date Taken and all the rest. *But* if you "Save for Web" it will strip all the EXIF data.

Grant
PG
Phil_Goff
Jun 27, 2004
Grant,

Thanks for your help. You are right about Photoshop Elements preserving the EXIF data. I guess I expected it to show when I right clicked for "properties" of a saved file (or in Windows Explorer). Neither of these processes reveal the EXIF data.

However when I import the picture into Photoshop Album, the EXIF data magically appears. Its a little puzzling but I guess I can live with it. I just wish I could see the "date picture taken" in my Windows Explorer file after editing it via Photoshop Elements. Any thoughts?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections