GM
Posted By
George_Mazzone
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK – I know I can resize images – but in order to not get the proportions out of whack – I don’t seem to be able to get the size that I want (i.e. 4×6 or 8×10). I always wind up at 6×4.5 or some strange thing. Please help this beginner print out a 4×6 photo?????!!!!! (without all the varying sizes of white strips on the edges
THANKS

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jhjl1
Jun 26, 2004
Crop your photo to the proper ratio. Get it as close as possible by resizing and then use the rectangular marquee tool and crop to 4×6 by setting it to fixed size and enter your dimensions. Just one of several ways to get you where you want to be.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
OK – I know I can resize images – but in order to not get the
proportions out of whack – I don’t seem to be able to get the size that I want (i.e. 4×6 or 8×10). I always wind up at 6×4.5 or some strange thing. Please help this beginner print out a 4×6 photo?????!!!!! (without all the varying sizes of white strips on the edges
THANKS
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 26, 2004
There are a few of the newer digital cameras that will allow you to specify an aspect ratio. But most cameras that I am familiar with do not have such a feature. Consequently, the image produced by these digital cameras do not conform to the standard print sizes that we have become accustomed to. So in order to print a photograph that is precisely one of these standard print sizes it will require that the photograph be cropped to a certain extent. You can use the rectangular marquee tool or the crop tool to do this. There are some issues with resampling. I would encourage you to study resampling in the help files and search for tutorials on this subject. I understand the issue, but I don’t know how to explain it as well as some of the others.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 27, 2004
See other responses…
It’s mathematically impossible to make something 6×4 that doesn’t start out in that proportion without either cropping or "warping".

Just like you can’t make a 5×7 or 8×10 from 35mm neg without cropping.

Or, as you mention, printing smaller on 6×4 paper, with larger border on two sides. This is only way you can get the entire original image on 6×4 paper.

Mac
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 27, 2004
George,
Two points:
1. This topic is being discussed concurrently, see here: Raymond Robillard "changing image size" 6/24/04 3:21am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
2. Your printer probably does not have the capability to print a borderless picture. Not all printers can do that.
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections