J
Posted By
Jackie56
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Elements 2 on Win XP, when I choose ‘Save for Web’ the color just drains out of the web vesion. I have tried uping the contrast or color depth before trying to optimise the picture but I cannot seem to get anything to give it back the vibrance.

When trying to optimise some rich yellow colored wooden table, I was left with a very cold magenta shaded wooden texture, ruining the quality of the wooden product.

Can anyone offer a solution please?

Thanks
Jackie

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 28, 2004
Turn off Full Color Management from the gitgo…

Or rerun Adobe Gamma carefully.

M
J
Jackie56
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks

If you mean the Color Settings, then they are already set to ‘No Color Management’, I have tried it on the other 2 settings but the problem is the same.

I run Xp Pro and have looked at Adobe Gamma in Control Panel but have not used it before so is this the problem?

My monitor is an LCD 15" Samsung 152V.

Regards
Phil
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 29, 2004
Phil, I notice ‘save for web’ tends to desaturate the color a bit but not to an extreme. I ‘sometimes’ saturate the image a bit before sending it to web with that option. Adobe Gamma is bundled with Elements and all versions of PS for a good reason….they are color managed programs so it’s a good idea to run the utility to calibrate your monitor…especially when you are having color defect problems with images. Here is a link to help you with this utility if needed. It’s for PS7 but works the same in Elements;

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 29, 2004
Not saving full photo type images to GIF are you?

M
J
Jackie56
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks Jodi
I have run it and the loss of color is much less apparent but does it mean that the images were not really losing the color, only on my monitor – so once uploaded to the web it would not have lost that much color from my end.

Mac – thanks for the thought but no jpeg and at low, medium and high it makes no difference.

Regards
Phil
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 29, 2004
Phil, ya, it was what your monitor was seeing…HOWEVER, most of the non graphic oriented viewers will probably not see what you see either. Some monitors couldn’t care less about displaying proper color straight from the box…others, like my Samsung CRT is serious about color and supplies added software to further fine tune the rainbow. There isn’t too much you can do about what others are seeing so please yourself with a good monitor display and hope for the best !
JD
Jeffrey_Dobisch
Jun 30, 2004
It’s my understanding that using the Save for Web command converts the image to sRGB, which is the standard for the web. sRGB looks faded compared to the native Adobe RGB colorspace.

There is no reason why you HAVE to use the Save for Web command… it’s just easy.
J
Jackie56
Jun 30, 2004
Thank you

Now, if I am fed up with the rich color on my monitor all the time from using the Adobe Gamma wizard, how do I revert to normal.
I have opened up the wizard again and tried to load what I thought was my old profile as it refs my monitor but it ends with .icm not .icc and will not be accepted. Then I found myname1.icc and tried to load that but we go around in circles trying to overwrite the orignal.

Help!

Regards
Phil
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jun 30, 2004
Jodi,

You mention the Samsung CRT as a good monitor. Could you recommendother monitors as well. Mine is nearly 8 years old and works fine for normal microsoft work but is not developed for photographic enhancing (didn’t exist in 1998 :-))and I want to get a monitor that is.

Robert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 30, 2004
Robert, I can only recommend what i know which is the one I’m currently using…SAMSUNG 950b

< http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlis t&A=details&Q=&sku=242120&is=REG>

I bought mine at NewEgg.com and got it in 4 days

19 inches of glory !
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 30, 2004
I’ve always liked Samsung also, good blend of quality vs price, nice flat CRTs, etc.

Have had 3 Samsung CRT monitors and have 3 Samsung TV’s 🙂

However, my 19" 955DF recently went out of focus on sides. Last couple inches on each side. I can adjust either side to be sharp, but not both, so seems to be some "pot" adjustment inside has gone wonky, not the tube itself. First bad think I’ve had happen to any of the Samsung products, and happened just after the 3 year warranty expired (not that you can do alot with the warranty, what with shipping being pretty pricey).

Been looking for someone around town who might know what to tweak (no adjustment holes on case anywhere). Found website mentioning how maybe to do it, but will have to take housing off myself – high voltage capacitors and all that, gulp. Dunno.

Anyway, couple weeks ago bought Samsung 900DF (also 19" CRT) at Sam’s, for $175. Black housing. Doesn’t have focus control, so maybe it is little "lesser" model? Or maybe they’ve made them where that would never be necessary? Dunno.

M
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jun 30, 2004
jodi and mac,

Is it just a matter of buying the monitor and plug it in or do I get some soft ware with it to install?

Robert
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 30, 2004
My last Samsung comes with a "driver", that Windows Plug and Play asked for when I first booted with the new monitor attached, but I assume that just loads the monitor ICC profile, and is not needed and could be skipped. And btw, Adobe Gamma doesn’t like ANY monitor profile from Samsung, says "not valid". This is a common thing with several monitor manufacturers seems.

It also came with some kind of color adjustment program, but I didn’t even consider loading that.

M
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 30, 2004
What about the Viewsonic G-series (for graphics) monitors? They’ve received a lot of good reviews, from customers and from PC World.

Here’s a link if you want to take a look anyway: <http://tinyurl.com/2muk5>

I’m not in the market, mind you, but some where on the following site (or one of the links from it), it recommended these monitors:

<http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html>

Patti
J
Jackie56
Jul 1, 2004
I don’t mind people hijacking my problems for their own IF my request for help was answered first. Could some one please tell mee how to remove the Adobe Gamma profile and return my screen to normal – see post below:

Thank you

Now, if I am fed up with the rich color on my monitor all the time from using the Adobe Gamma wizard, how do I revert to normal.
I have opened up the wizard again and tried to load what I thought was my old profile as it refs my monitor but it ends with .icm not .icc and will not be accepted. Then I found myname1.icc and tried to load that but we go around in circles trying to overwrite the orignal.

Help!

Regards
Phil
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 1, 2004
Not exactly sure what you need at this point, but I hear your plea 🙂

– After you run Adobe Gamma, regardless of what you started with, just save with a new name. That way you don’t overwrite anything. It becomes your monitor profile of choice when Adobe Gamma kicks in during boot.

or

– If you don’t want Adobe Gamma to run at all, just remove the shortcut from the Windows startup folder.

HTH,
M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections