R
Posted By
rtimm
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a newly built computer, with Pentium III, 654MB Ram, Dual harddrive, running Win 2000 SP4, with a Rage 128 Fury video card. I have been trying to install a copy of PS Elements 2.0 that was on my old machine and which worked fine (that computer had less capabilities all around, certainly with less RAM.)
Here is what happens:
After I load Elements everything seems fine until after I open the program and open a file (nothing too big, just a 6MB TIFF for example). Then I try and do a major operation (like move a selection). At that point there is a complete freeze, one that only a hard re-start will fix. At that point I have uninstalled and tried again using the different ideas listed below, all with the same results. The computer continues to work fine otherwise.
I downloaded the Adobe help file on installation problems and performed many of the less severe options (I obviuosly do not want to re-install the operating system after I just spent mnay hours building the machine and everything else is running great). The suggested ideas I have tried included checking the disk for scratches (fine), downloading the newest video driver, downloading Direct X 9.0, not using autoplay, changing the scratch disk to my secondary harddrive, removing temp files before installation, installing on the secondary drive at the root level, and installing under safe mode, and all kinds of combinations of those.

I was able to successfully install it and run it on another computer as a test, so I don’t think the disk or the program files are corrupt. I have more knowlegable friends who have never encountered this issue. I am successfully running many graphics programs on the same machine– Autocad, Illustrator, full Acrobat, etc..
I really cannot think of any other solutions? Please help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent_bertram
Jul 1, 2004
Several years ago, when the Pentium III was a current chip, ASUS had a couple motherboard models, A2b & A3b, I believe they were, which had bad voltage regulation onboard. Problems only showed up under Photoshop and Elements ( because of the intensive load put on the cpu and ram by these apps ) . You might check the model of your mobo . There is no fix if it’s one of the ASUS boards in question. At one time ASUS replaced the boards, but they are long out of warranty. Some Dell Optiplex boards were also similarly affected in the same era.

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections